Author Topic: 1871 census  (Read 10979 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 20:42 BST (UK) »
a grandaughter to John & Christina, although it may be your friend...
http://tinyurl.com/ynrfpv
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/CAN-ONT-LANARK/2002-11/1037870715
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

I'm glad this post has come back up again. Tom and I spent some time on this from your other post www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,235501.0.html.

There does not seem to be any births coming up under Anderson/Dunlop on IGI. The Anderson births that I can see in Midlothian for the period +/- 2 years for each girl don't throw up anything new that doesn't show on IGI or that we didn't check out before.

Just gone back to censuses and 1871 in particular, as we know, the only possible one to find Christina and Annie and ignoring surnames (which as we know, may have been manipulated in the process) have just found this entry:

James Shade 34, baker, head, b. Edinburgh
Kate Slade, 9, daughter, b. Edinburgh
John Slade, 7, son, b. Edinburgh
Margt Baerd 38, mother, (not sure her age has been transcribed correctly) b. Edinburgh
Annie Davidson 5, boarder, b. Edinburgh
Christina Davidson 7, boarder, b. Edinburgh

Elizth Gibson    22, servant
Wm Goodlet    23, lodger, baker
Jemima Young    23,servant housekeeper

Address: 24 Cowgate, Edinburgh

A bit of a mixed up entry. Let me see what I can find.

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 22:23 BST (UK) »
 :'( Christina and Annie Davidson are back with their parents, John and Christina, by 1881.....oh these two girls have got under my skin  :'(

Monica  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 July 07 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all:

Getting quite a group going here with these two girls aren't we?!!  My friend has sent me a photo of the two girls as adults (attached), so now they're really under my skin!!  Left to right Annie and Christina.

In a nutshell this is what we have - Neil Livingstone and his wife Annie Campbell are my friends great grandparents, their son John and his wife Christina are her grandparents.  John and Christina's youngest son James Livingstone b 1903 was her father.  William Livingstone age 82 shown in the 1881 census is Neil's father.

The Campbell you found in 1911 was indeed a son of John and Christina's - he and another son Neil had gone out West and when John's father died in Ontario he and Christina joined them to farm.  They did quite well and when John became ill in 1944, my friends father took it over.

But back to the two girls - I'm wondering if Christina saying her mother was Annie DUNLOP might be our biggest clue.  We still need to find them in 1871, but from what I understand from you Monica there are no two girls that match the equation in 1871?  Could Annie Dunlop have been unmarried and Christina was "given" the name of her father by the adoption society?  I was going to buy some units on Scotlands People website - but am I wasting my time and money Monica?  What do you think?

I have a copy of Anne's obituary (by the way she died age 41, not in her early twenties as I thought!) - this states that Annie (or Anna as she is shown in the obit) was born in1867 in Scotland, her parents were called Anderson, but that they had died previous to 1873 - but again do we take that with a pinch of salt?

I do thank you all for your continued interest and perseverance!!

Linda

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 July 07 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi:

I'm back with a bit more information - strangely enough my friend had a reply from a website she had written to concerning the actual entries for the children into Canada.  It now appears there were more siblings!

They are shown entering Canada via port of Quebec on July 17, 1872, after leaving Glasgow on July 2, 1872, aboard the St. David - four Anderson children with the same reference and therefore we are assuming related, as follows:

Audrey female age 7, Christina female age 9, Pat Archy male age indecipherable, and Annie female age 7. 

They came with a party of 63 children under the care of Miss Annie Macpherson.  We know the two girls went to the Marchmont home in Belleville -much can be found about the actual home on the net, and the building still stands.

So does that help with the 1871 census?  I'm taking Pat Archy to be Patrick Archibold?

I had a quick look on the I.G.I. but no children of that name born to a William Anderson and Annie Dunlop.  Closest I could find was Robert Dunlop Anderson b 1870 in Glasgow.

Linda

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 July 07 19:54 BST (UK) »
They came with a party of 63 children under the care of Miss Annie Macpherson.  We know the two girls went to the Marchmont home in Belleville -much can be found about the actual home on the net, and the building still stands.

My friend actually went by the house today for me in Belleville to take pictures of what it looks like now.  Another rootschatter whose gr uncle was sent to the home asked if I could get them for him.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 July 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
I just looked at the ship's entry and I only see the two?...page 5 ...J.J.

http://tinyurl.com/26essc
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 July 07 21:13 BST (UK) »
O.K. I see an Archy, bottom page six, there are four more...looks to be 17 though...and I don't see any Pat beside the name???

Oh, it must be a female then so that's Audrey is it? ...poor quality scans as usual...nice to have, but if one is to bother going to the trouble of digitizing, it would be nice if they got someone who knows what they are doing...
Still looks to be 17, tho...

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 July 07 21:38 BST (UK) »
The home in 1871 might have been ..."The first home started November 18, 1871, at 10 Renfrew Lane, Glasgow, then Renfield Street."..not sure if that was established in the postings...
It sounds as though this fellow meant well in his initial thinking of all this....
as he says was a street boy himself...
http://www.thereformation.info/quarrierhomes.htm
http://www.quarriers.org.uk/about/genealogy/index.php help for genealogists $25. fee