Author Topic: St Pauls Bristol  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: St Pauls Bristol
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
So you're assuming Sarah is the grandmother after all, Arranroots?  :)
Then she's not the same Sarah as in 1841 ...
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 19:32 BST (UK) »
Who knows, Tati?

The age is hard to read and could very well be 30.  It would be unusual for the children to have the surname NEWMAN without the dad's permission.  Sarah could be the auntie - maybe we shouldn't blacken her name til the cert arrives??

;) ;D ;D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline NEATWHEAT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 19:33 BST (UK) »
All this is very interesting, I have thought of all possibilities that Sarah is an unmarried mother or perhaps the parents died and the grandmother brought them up.

I will just have to wait now for the Certificate, it should be very interesting.

Thanks again
NEATWHEAT

Offline NEATWHEAT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 19:46 BST (UK) »
Just to make it more interesting I cannot find any of them in 1861.  Henry Married Ellen in 1865.  Can anyone help solve this also.

Cheers
NEATWHEAT

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 19:49 BST (UK) »
Funny you should say that!  I was just looking for Julia (thinking she would be the easiest!)

Where did Henry and Ellen marry?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline NEATWHEAT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 19:51 BST (UK) »
Wrong, I have just found Henry in 1861, he is now Henry Parker 19.  Stockbrokers clerk. RG 9/1729 shown as Grandson and Annie is also on there.  This is all very curious as he was a Stockbroker in Cardiff shown as Henry Augustus Newman in 1901.

How interesting is all this

NEATWHEAT

Offline NEATWHEAT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 19:51 BST (UK) »
They married in Bristol.

Offline NEATWHEAT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 April 07 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
Regarding Henry Augustus Newman, I now have the Birth Certificate but I am no wiser.  He was born 9th November 1840 in Strotton Street, St Pauls Bristol  His father was Henry William Newman, Mother Sarah Newman formerly Parker, his occupation is shown as Gentleman and the signature is the mark of Ann Parker occupier Stratton Street.  Registered 26 November 1840.  I cannot find any details in the census for Henry William Newman and I am wondering why Sarah is shown as Sarah Parker in all the censuses and in 1861 Henry Augustus has the surname of Parker but when he married Ellen Povey he was Newman again.
Can anyone shred any light on any of this for me. 
I think that as Henry W was a gentleman Sarah worked in his house and he got her pregnant but never married her.  Did he buy the house for her and her mother an sister so that they could bring up Henry A? Very interesting !!

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 April 07 20:48 BST (UK) »
There is a possible Henry in Clifton

1841  HO107/377/5/23/41

Royal Hotel, Clifton, Bristol

Henry NEWMAN 40 Ind(ependent) Yes = born in county

I would have thought it unlikely that the illegitimate son of a dressmaker would make it to stockbroker without some form of support from his father.  It would be interesting to see whether there was a bastardy bond or other arrangement made on his behalf by his father.

;)