Author Topic: Rachel Phillips Born Merthyr 1859/60  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Cabes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rachel Phillips Born Merthyr 1859/60
« on: Wednesday 01 December 04 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amy

Thanks for your offer of help.  I have the birth certificate of my grand mother Elizabeth Williams, born in Merthyr 1897.  On the certificate it states that her father was William Williams and her mother Rachel Phillips.  On the 1881 census I have found a William Williams, age 27 and his wife Rachel, age 22, born in Merthyr, in around 1859 by my calculations.  I’m assuming these are my great grandparents, as I can’t  find reference to any other William and Rachel Williams that fit the time and place.

I have checked the 1871 census and I can’t find any reference to a 12 year old Rachel Phillips born in Merthyr. On Freebmd I have found a Rachel Phillips born in Merthyr in 1860, this is likely to be her.

My request is do you have any sources that show a Rachel Phillips born in Merthyr around 1859-60 and are there any indications on the name of her parents.

Thanks once again, this will be a great help.

Mike

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel Phillips Born Merthyr 1859/60
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :D There is only one match to a Rachel Phillips (& various spellings) However this one was born in Merthyr in 1851 Parents: Ebenezer & Mary Phillips both born in Carmarthenshire.   :-\

Perhaps she was born after 1861, Census entries are not accurate with the birth years.

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel Phillips Born Merthyr 1859/60
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 04 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cabes. I have sent you information on Evan Evans via P.M  :D