Author Topic: Ballymacarrett  (Read 32640 times)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballymacarrett
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
I think this would be Samuel's mother

Ellen Pendleton 
Registration District: Belfast 
Event Type: DEATHS 
Registration Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1898 
Estimated Birth Year: 1867 
Age (at Death): 31 
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 14:19 BST (UK) »
DETECTIVE ROSEMARY SOLVES ANOTHER MYSTERY!!! :D :D

Hi
theres a record on rosdavies site for a George Pentleton aged 21, Knockbreda, son of John Pentleton,married a Sarah Corbett, 15th Feb 1866 ,Ballymacarrett, which may be of interest to you.
jim
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
Well, what can I say other than thank you - once again the value of local knowledge (including that of how the records work) wins the day. that information gave me three generations of the family and takes me back to the mid nineteenth century.

Just to make things more interesting, however, here's another bit to add to the mystery which I have only just found:

Ireland's Memorial Records lists
PENTLAND, WILLIAM. Reg. No. 9080. Rank, Rifleman, Royal Irish Rifles, 1st Batt. ; died of wounds, home, August 26, 1916 ; born Ballymacarrett, Belfast.

whose servcie number connects him to
Rifleman Service No: 9080 Date of Death: 26/08/1916 Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles Grave Reference B. 638. Cemetery CANTERBURY CEMETERY, KENT

It would be hard to believe that he is not a brother of Samuel but the censuses don't suggest it.

I tried checking the Ulster Covenant but there appear to be no male Pentlands (although there are two females) in East Belfast, i also tried wild card searches but it seems the search engine isn't up to it.

Offline Lousy Borne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 23:46 BST (UK) »
There are plenty of male Pentlands from east Belfast that signed the Covenenant.

eg
Samuel Pentland Chatsworth Street
Samuel Pentland Portallo Street
Robert Pentland Portallo Street
Valentine Pentland Portallo Street
W Pentland Clonallon Street
Thomas Pentland Hornby Street

Most are recorded as South Belfast as that was where they signed it.
Many men were not in their own areas on that day as they would have been taking part in organising the signing.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 18:26 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this will show - a map of County Down 1851-91 clearly showing Ballymacarrett within Down. http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/oirthear/downmaps.htm

I am happy to see this as having ancestors in Belfast including Ballymacarrett - I was becoming extremely confused.

Offline Lousy Borne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 19:39 BST (UK) »
The county boundaries have not changed since that time. The county used for the postal address is were the delivery office usually is. For instance if you look at the map you will see that boardmills and Drumbo are clearly in County Down buy as they are delivered from Lisburn delivery office in County Antrim they are classed postally as County Down, another one is, Aghalee County Antrim, Magheralin County Down, and Lurgan County Armagh, these are all delivered by the Craigavon office and therefore all get a County Armagh postal address. Belfast is different for some reason, most of Belfast is delivered from an office in County Antrim but East Belfast is delivered from an office in East Belfast county Down but still gets a County Antrim postal address.

Offline billpg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 April 16 13:12 BST (UK) »
 :)sorry, guess I got to the dance a bit late.  But  in 1860 according to Griffith's valuation published at that time Ballymacarret (spelled that way) was in co. Down, in Knockbreda Parish. I am interested in David Galbraith, b 1811 of McMillan's Lane of that town. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 03 April 16 13:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's Co. Down- http://www.townlands.ie/down/ballymacarret/

Welcome to Rootschat, billpg  :)

Best to start a new topic looking for your Galbraiths on the ANTRIM board- all Belfast queries are under Antrim even though a small portion of Belfast is in Co. Down.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!