Author Topic: William IRVING of Glenzier, Canobie parish- 28th Foot  (Read 2597 times)

Offline mickm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William IRVING of Glenzier, Canobie parish- 28th Foot
« on: Thursday 19 April 07 03:56 BST (UK) »
Appreciate any leads as to which Irving family the following William Irving belonged to. His newspaper obit reads:
June 14th 1834 Carlisle Patriot
In the island of Guernsey, in the month of December last, Colonel Irving, a native of Glinzier in the parish of Canonbie, Dumfriesshire. The deceased entered his Majesty’s service in the month of July 1795 as an ensign in the 28th regiment of foot, and from that period until shortly before his death was always in active service, and throughout the late war bore a high name for bravery in the many engagements in which he was present.

Irving had a most remarkable military record, fighting with the 28th Foot is many battles, including Quatro Bras and was promoted brevet LtCol on the day of Waterloo.

His burial record in Guernsey (Channel Is.) has him at 61 yrs and 7 mths old when he died 14 Feb 1833 (paper had it slightly wrong), indicating birth around Jul 1771. I can't match this exactly with the births available on Scotlands People. 

Can anyone link him to an Irving family? Regards, Mick

Offline bealach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: William IRVING of Glenzier, Canobie parish- 28th Foot
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 07 19:55 BST (UK) »
There is a large family of Irvings in the farmstead of Glenzierbeckknowe (now known by the name of Evertown) in the late 18th Century.  James Irving and Agnes Armstrong were the parents and the family in date order were:  David (b14/10/1767), Bridget (b21/01/1770), William(b16/05/1772), Margaret (b08/12/1774), Robert (28/07/1777), George (b23/03/1780), David (b26/02/1781), George (b27/10/1783), Barbara (b25/04/1786), Agnes (b03/08/1789), Sarah (b31/07/1794).

All the above data were extracted from the Canonbie Old Parish Records.
Armstrong in Canonbie
Armet in Edinburgh and Fife

Offline mickm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 August 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that Irivng info; I had found them in the Scotlands People Index and what I have matches what you provided. However, you have also given the precise location as Glenzierbecknowe and that helped a lot. I've seen the place also spelt Glinzier and is marked on some older maps and even current maps have Glenzier- named locations shown near Evertown. Regards Mick

Offline mightyquinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 17:17 BST (UK) »
hi
can i ask if you have a janet irving married to a alexander morrison in your family

they came from langholm 

many thanks
angie
MORRISON [married name]
QUINN[ biological surname THEY ARE FROM MANCHESTER TO IRELAND ]
GORST [step maiden name][THEY ARE FROM NORHTWICH
HORRIDGE[mothers maiden name]
HAMBLETT[MANCHESTER]
WHELAN[ MANCHESTER]
PICKUP[MANCHESTER]

Offline mickm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 22:17 BST (UK) »
Angie; Regret no info on your Janet Iriving. I see her 1798 marriage in Familysearch and Langholm close to the Irvings I was chasing. The Janet born 1775 Canobie is a possibility. I'd get onto Scotlands People web site and find the marriage record which should have parentage (assuming it was included). I'll also look further and will advise if I find anything useful. Mick

Offline mightyquinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 16:14 BST (UK) »
thanks  for answering mick m

angie
MORRISON [married name]
QUINN[ biological surname THEY ARE FROM MANCHESTER TO IRELAND ]
GORST [step maiden name][THEY ARE FROM NORHTWICH
HORRIDGE[mothers maiden name]