Author Topic: TERRELL - ANGOVE - TRENGOVE  (Read 13999 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: TERRELL - ANGOVE - TRENGOVE
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 April 07 05:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Yes it certainly sounds like there was some confusion going on at the time of the death. These things did happen a lot, with a son either giving his own name or his fathers name at the wrong time. If they were rather illiterate,  a lot of these errors were not noticed. I think if you accept that this is his arrival in 1840 with Samuel then he is Samuel's son. The other thought of course is he was Thomas's son, not Samuels and therefore he arrived at another time and this is not his immigration record.

I have actually been sitting here fooling about with this looking for other possibilities. By what I can see from here, if he is not Samuel's son then the immigration does not appear to be online, so may have been later and you would need go to library to check passenger lists for other possibilities. Hate to have to mention it but there actually is a widowed Thomas aged 51 who weds in Burra in 1850 so anything is possible. (Long way from Adelaide, where Thomas wed but should be mentioned) There is also the death of a Thomas in 1868 aged 34 in North Adelaide. Rel William Terrell probable rel) So there was certainly more than one Thomas about.  :-\

I will say I cannot find a Sarah Angove in the marriage index and it really should be there if the name is correct. When you look at Trengove/ Angove you don't think of them as much alike but when you start saying them, they really do sound similar. I notice the naming patterns with Samuel and Thomas's children are similar.

Unfortunately if these children were all born before Sep 1/4 1837 then I am afraid all you will get is the mothers Christian name on baptism entry. SA marriages do list a couple of possibilities for the other sons born pre 1840. (No Guarantees of course)

TERRELL Samuel 22 Single father Saml = LINNEMANN Johanna Christiana Emilie 22 Single Father Christien Linnemann 10 Feb 1857 Trinity Church [Adelaide]
Dist Ade 29/94

TERRELL John 30 Status Not Recorded Father Saml = LANE Mary Ann 17 Status not Recorded Father Thomas Lane 17 Jul 1866 Trinity Church [Adelaide] Dist Ade Symbol V 68/137

It looks like there were a few Terrells around St Uny by the burials. Including a Samuel and a Thomas Henry  :-\

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jon_rees/steunyT.htm

I would suggest you try an email to the OPC for St Uny and hope she can help. The baptisms will at least list an occupation for the father.

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/PAR/Q-S/Redruth.htm

Doesn't rain but it pours.........Good Luck..........Kris  :D

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anne Wilson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 April 07 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris
Thanks for that...will investigate those websites.
Have been madly searching my SA BDM discs and found the Samuel and John you mentioned. The John is definitely John Williams Terrell as his full name is noted on the birth of one of their children. The Samuel I'm still working on.
Cheers
Annie
Lynch, Dundee; Scotland. Armagh; Ireland
Wallace, Dundee/Arbroath; Scotland
Henry, Armagh;Ireland
Nielson/Nelson; South Australia
Johnston; South Australia
Brown; South Australia
Terrell; Cornwall
Angove; Cornwall
Trengove; Cornwall
Wilson; Cumberland, Durham
Reay; Cumberland
Barwise; Cumberland
Weiler/Wheeler; Luxembourg, South Australia

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 July 08 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

I have been searching for any information on Samuel Terrell/Sarah Trengove for quite some time now.  Samuel Terrell is my ggg grandfather.  They came over to Australia with 3 sons in 1840,  the only one listed with Samuel and Sarah was Thomas Henry.  They had a further 6 children when they arrived in Australia.  This ships records say Samuel and Sarah were married when they came to Australia, but that could have been said as it was easier to get family over if you were married.  Their second last son Richard(1848) is my gg grandfather. He was known as Richard the 3rd because he had a son Richard Hattam Terrell, who in turn had a son Richard, who is my grandfather, Richard the third.  There was another family of Terrells who came over at the same time as Samuel, his name was Thomas, he was single.  If you would like any more information you can Email me.  I live in Western Australia, where Samuel Terrells family eventually ended up.  The only Terrells living In WA related to me are my eldest brother and his children, of which he had a son and called it Richard, so he is known as Richard the 4th.

Kim :)

Hi there
I'm an aussie tracing her Cornish roots and hope some kind soul can help me find the birth of my gggrandfather Thomas Henry TERRELL. His parents were Thomas and Sarah nee ANGOVE and according to his Australian death cert. he was born in Redruth. However I have a discrepancy in his birth year as his marriage cert (Australian) says he was born abt 1832 but his DC says abt 1828.
Can't find anything on IGI that matches even using all the normal variants of TERRELL.
The family came to Australia in Nov 1841 aboard the "Waterloo" along with another relation (I'm assuming!!) Samuel TERREL and his wife Sarah nee TRENGROVE. Have found their marriage in Gwennap parish on 3rd August 1831.
Any suggestions/help really appreciated   
Annie
P.S I stupidly posted this originally in the "Cornwall Resources" page!!! so am correcting my error.
Terrell, Mitchell, Morris and Wagstaff

Offline DarrenC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 March 09 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne & Kim & Others,

My name is Darren and I too am in Australia.  I have just started researching my family history (inspired by the birth of my children!).  As I found family members, I googled their names and it led to this!  My searches have been limited to simple BDM's online so far.

I have started researching the Broken Hill side of my family, and have found that Thomas Henry Terrell appears to be my great great great grandfather.  His son Samuel was the father of my great grandmother (Dorothy Adeline) whom I had the pleasure of spending time with as a kid before she passed away in Adelaide.  I was very interested to see that mining goes that far back in the family history (I am a geologist, so that was amazing for me!).

I was wondering if either of you or anyone else had made any progress in the research of Samuel & Sarah in Cornwall, or could pass on any further details on the family line.  I am an absolute amateur at this and live in Kalgoorlie (meaning access to many of the libraries is limited to online) so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Regards,
Darren

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 March 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Darren,

I am 6th generation Terrell in Australia.   My grandfathers name is Richard, also known as Richard the 3rd, before him was Richard Hattam Terrell, Richard the 2nd, before him was Richard Terrell, Richard the 1st.    Samuel Terrell is Richard the 1st father. 
I have been researching the family tree for 20 years, when I had my first child.  I am now writing a book as the family history is so interesting.  I was in South Australia on July 2008 and found so much information about the Terrell family. 

I lived in Kalgoorlie for 18 yrs untill I was married, I now live in Perth where I have great access to the library.

Please contact me on

Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You

New members need to make 3 posts for the PM system to open up to them. Darren please reply here and then Kish will be able to contact you privately.

and I can help you out with anything you need. 
 I guess this makes us 3rd cousins.

Kish
Terrell, Mitchell, Morris and Wagstaff

Offline DarrenC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 March 09 12:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kish......

It's an amazingly small world!!  I'll be in contact as soon as I can get PM's (after this post hopefully!)

Cheers,

Darren

Offline BarbieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 February 11 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

If you are still researching the Terrell lineage could you contact me as I am a direct descendant of Samuel John Terrell - my Grandmother Hazel Winifred Terrell was Samuel John Terrell's daughter - Boulder Western Australia marriage records for Hazel show her father as Samuel John Terrell and her mother as Alice Maud Mary Surrey. WA Cemetery records show Alice Maud Mary Terrell died 1957 age 87.

Thank you
BarbieM

Offline Anne Wilson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 February 11 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbie
Yes, still tracking the TERRELL families.
I believe Alice Maud Mary's maiden name was actually TURVEY, so if you want to let me know what you have on the couple, I'll fill in any gaps I can.
Cheers
Annie
P.S. Sorry for the late reply but I've been having some computer problems of late!!
You can PM if you want
Lynch, Dundee; Scotland. Armagh; Ireland
Wallace, Dundee/Arbroath; Scotland
Henry, Armagh;Ireland
Nielson/Nelson; South Australia
Johnston; South Australia
Brown; South Australia
Terrell; Cornwall
Angove; Cornwall
Trengove; Cornwall
Wilson; Cumberland, Durham
Reay; Cumberland
Barwise; Cumberland
Weiler/Wheeler; Luxembourg, South Australia

Offline BarbieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 February 11 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,
You are correct with Alice's maiden name being Turvey - obviously just mistake in the transcribing of the name.
Have had some success back to John Terrell (b 1790 - D 1825)  m Temperence Jeffery-Smith (b 1753 - D 1808) and this John Terrell's father was Stephen Terrell - all born in Camborne, Cornwall, England.  The one Terrell I am stuck on is Samuel John Terrell B 1868 - D 1919 and I cannot find a wife's name for him.  If you are interested I have entered the ones I have found on to Lynn Family Tree on Ancestry.com Australia.
Thanks for getting back to me.  I am new at this rootsweb chat so don't think I am allowed PM's yet.

BarbieM