Author Topic: REIDs from Galsgow, SCT.  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Fergus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
REIDs from Galsgow, SCT.
« on: Sunday 22 April 07 22:00 BST (UK) »
Would like to find living descendents of this family;

James REID - 42 (Approx 1822 - 9 May 1864)
& 1st wife - Mary MCGOWAN - 43 (Abt 1824 - Bef 1851)
|  James REID - 5527 (About 1846 - )
|  Janet McGowan REID - 5528 (About 1844 - ) & George Francis STEWART - 5667 (About 1838 - )
|            Janet & George married at St. Mary’s Chapel,
|            (catholic) Glasgow, SCT 1864
|    |
|    |  Agnes STEWART - 5668 (About 1866 - )
|    |  Ann (Annie) STEWART - 5669 (1867 - )
|    |  Ellen STEWART - 5670 (About 1873 - )
|    |  James R (Reid?) STEWART - 5671 (About 1877 - )
|    |  May (Mary?) STEWART - 5672 (About 1869 - )
|    |  Thomas P (Parlane?) STEWART - 5673 (About 1871 - )

James REID - 42 (Approx 1822 - 9 May 1864)
& 2nd wife - Ann MORRISON - 5614 (About 1825 - )
|        James & Ann married in Old Kilpatrick, Dunb. in 1853.
|         {James was a partner in Kerr, McPherson & Reid
|           Power Loom Cloth Mfgr, Glasgow at the time of his
|           death.}
|  |
|  |
|  Morrison REID - 5615 (About 1858 - 17 Mar 1924)
|  & Maggie AIRD - 5666 (About 1865 - )
|                 {Morrison & Maggie lived in Glasgow, SCT.}
|     |  Marion S. A. REID - 5676 (1891 - )
|     |  Ann M. REID - 5686 (About 1896 - )
|     |  Archibald Aird TORRANCE Nephew - 5687 (Mar 1901 - )
|
|  Ann McKinlock REID - 5616 (14 Apr 1860 - )
|
|  Murdoch REID - 5674 (22 May 1862 - 4 Feb 1947)
|  & Devina MCNAUGHTON - 5682 (About 1871 - 3 Nov 1955)
|             Murdoch & Devina lived in Dundee, Angus, SCT.
|             Murdoch died @ Broughty Ferry, Angus, SCT.
|  |
|  |  Agnes REID - 5683 (About 1895 - )
|  |  David REID - 5684 (About 1897 - )
|      {lived in Corby, Eng. In 1955}
|  |  James REID - 5685 (About 1893 - )

Thanks,

Bob F.

Primary interest is (all) REIDs from Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire from 1600s till 1800s, then Dunbartonshire to CDA.
2ndly - MURDOCHs and STORIE from Kilbarchan parish, Renfrewshire.
Lastly, PATONs from either Renfrewshire or Duntocher, Dunbartonshire approx. 1820 - 1880.

Also trying to build a database of all REIDs in Kilbarchan Parish, RFW from 1500s through present time.

Offline photog

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REIDs from Galsgow, SCT.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 July 10 18:59 BST (UK) »
can help with ARCHIBALD AIRD TORRANCE, B. 1901. I am one of his grandchildren. He moved to New Zealand in the 20s, married a nurse from Edinburgh, and had six children, 17 grandchildren. He died in Dannevirke NZ around 1993 or so. Other relatives had moved to NZ in the 20s and 30s, and to the best of my knowledge, the bulk of the Scottish Torrance relatives live around Stranraer-Portpatrick in Galloway.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 July 10 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There are people on genes who are related to the Reid family.  Susan Gill is one.  Hope she wont mind me stating this.  She and I have worked it out that via the Hall family we are distantly related being 5 or 6 times removed cousins. A member of the Reid family she is related to married a daughter of the Hall family and my grgrgrgrandmother was a step sister or half sister (more acurately)(bad grammar) to the rest of the family from Janet Craig and George Hall. From memory it was one of their daughters who married a John? Reid. 

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 July 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
Just to add, half of my family came from around Edinburgh, the Halls were from around Aberdeen.  The other half were from around Glasgow and surrounding areas such as Ayr, Campbelltown in Argyll etc.  People are not always where you expect them to be, so I have found.

marcie

good luck.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline steels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Marcie
I notice you have Reid, Steele, Kirkwood, Smith in your Scottish names. Have you any interest in Rev. Mungo REID 1838-1924, Janet Johnstone KIRKWOOD 1774-1844 m Thomas HART at Greenock 1798,  Smiths from Kerry Argyleshire 1760-1790?
Our ancestor Mary SMITH c1762-1836 married John STEEL at Greenock 1788. Their son James 1792-1858 married Mary HERON at Greenock 1825. Her sister Janet HERON married W Mungo REID, father of above.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
My family : How can I explain!
Here we go, then.  Hugh Smith (Ireland) married Mary Taggart (Ireland)
moved to Renfrew in around 1838 ish.  Had daughter Hellen 1839/40
There were 10 children in all, including my 3x grgrandad Muir Smith who married Agnes Kirkwood.  They had Alexander Smith my 2x grgrandfather.
Are you a member of GR at all.  Because my tree is on there and also on my computer which is kaput due to an electrical short, so that the screen does not stay on.  My Grgran (my nans mother) married a George Blanchard Steele apprenticed to his dad Adam as a Painter /Decorator.  His grandfather James Steele married a Helen Slight.  On the Laidlaw side, my 2xgrgran was the daughter of Marjory Charles, her mother was a Margaret Forbes married a John Hall whilst her mother Janet Craig married a George Hall and their daughter  Mary? married a John ? Ried  and finally Marjory Charles daughter married Robert Brown and had my grgran who married John Laidlaw and had my grandad who married my nan.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline steels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 July 10 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Marcie, it looks like we are not connected.
Best wishes
Sally

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 July 10 16:36 BST (UK) »
 Hi Sally,
I also have Johnstones in my family tree, Hamilton, Macdonald and Campbells.
Barron or Baron,  Sandilands,.   Agnes Kirkwoods father was William Kirkwood as was his father before him but William Kirkwood snr's wife was Agnes Miller and that is as far as I have managed to get. 

James Steele who married helen had a brother John. James was living in Edinburgh when he met and married her, but it seems that John was in Ayrshire or on the border to Lanark because James and Helen ended up there where it seems the rest of James siblings & family seemed to have settled there.  Cannot find James mothers name, which might have helped prove it one way or the other. And I dont think that I have all the siblings names either.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline REGENTROAD

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 November 23 17:21 GMT (UK) »
The last entry:James Reid b)1893: Was my :grandfather
His daughter :Flora:is my mother.she is now 95 years of age (born:31 January 1928).mother is delighted to have read:details of her ancestors