Author Topic: inverchaolin  (Read 65198 times)

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: inverchaolin
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 29 July 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
and here again http://mcneur.com/the-inverary-mcneurs/
more om Elrigmore

Offline themeda99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 30 July 10 03:31 BST (UK) »
gc1660, thanks a lot. The Eligmore reference comes from Pigots commercial directory 1837-8 for Argyll. I found it in Google books. I am researching a man named Neil Black who came to Australia, but who held lands in Glen Shira and I have seen docs in the SNA in Edinburgh where are mentioned Benbuy and Glen Shira, and farms at Ardentraive, Couston, Glenmassan, Glentarsan, and others. I am trying to identify these places on the current OS 25000 for the area, and on the old 25 inch and 6 inch maps available on line. When he was born in 1804 his father farmed Kilbridemore and Kilbridebeg near Glendaruel, a lease his brother Duncan inherited and which ended with a lot of nastiness between the family and Duncan Campbell in 1812. Campbell died soon after, and I have lost the certain track of DB. I am trying to reconstruct a 200 year old landscape at the Tacksman level, in other words who owned the land and who leased it, down through the layers of sublease to the farmers. Thanks again for your help.

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 30 July 10 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

That's the same Neil Black who came back to try to entice others here in the Glen (that's how we call Glendaruel) and Colintraive to follow suit and emigrate to Australia.

Shona McKellar (nee McIntyre) has done a lot of work on the McIntyres who went to Australia and actually went at first to work for Neil Black there.   Please confirm he is the Neil Black born in 1804 at Kilmorebride in the Glen and who established himself as a much respected sheep manager partner of the Neil Black & Company with other partners in the company being William Stuart of Glenormiston Peebleshire, Alex Findley of Castle Toward in Argyll and Thomas Glasstone, 1st cousin of the prime minister.  Apparently Peter McIntyre went to work for Neil Black at Glenormiston which is now an Agricultural College.  Shona went in 2007 out to Australia to find the McIntyres and states that thre is still a Peter McIntyre with a son Donald and family living at Mount Pleasant.

When I see her next week at the fete I will ask her what she knows about him ....  Shona, although born here in Colintraive married a McKellar from the Glen.  The McIntyres goe back to Colintraive, Glendaruel and also Kilfinnan.  Roderick Neil Black here in the village of Colintraive if one of the few Black here in the area descending from that line but ... he is not interested in familyu history ...

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 30 July 10 04:29 BST (UK) »
I just now discovered you also mention Couston.  The clark family were tenant farmers of Couston from 1840 till the early 1900's.  Till the end of the 1700's it belonged to the Lamonts but then, through marriage, it became the possession of the Campbells of South Hall Estate here in Colintraive.  The South Hall Estate got sold I believe in 1923 (we have copies of the sale papers here in Colintraive) but just prior to that the Clark family left Couston and bought Achaderlie here in Colintraive.

Ardentraive Farm also belonged for a long time to the Lamont Family ... that's where Shona's father farmed (and her brother still farms today).  Ardentraive farm is just here at the back of our house.    They started farming there around 1917.  Before that branch of the McIntyre's were farming at Milton and Altgaltraig here in Colintraive.  Actually at the end of the 1800's, one of the McIntyre family farmed at Kilbridemore!

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 30 July 10 04:32 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention that the archives in Lochgilphead as well as in Edinburg have the rental papers of the South hall estate from I believe 1777 .... I intend to visit Lochgilphead next month to see when the Clark family started the rent of Couston farm and ended it ...

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 30 July 10 04:41 BST (UK) »
By the way, I think we can better correspond through normal email ... please email me at (*).  Some of the properties you mentioned, belong till at least 1770 completely to the Lamonts be it the Lamonts of Kilfinan, Glendaruel or Inverchaolain ... Unfortunately the Clan Lamont does not have the estate papers going back to that period!  They however received from the Duke of Argyll a compilation of all sassines etc with regards to the Lamonts.  Knockdow estate is for sale now.  In Knockdow house are still papers concerning the estate as well as other Lamont papers and the clan is now trying to get hold of these before the estate sale goes through (they would love to buy Knockdow House but the asking price is around GBP 1.7 million!).  I am hoping they will succeed and I hope to find out more about Duncan Clark who farmed at Gortanansaig farm in the 1700's!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 30 July 10 04:48 BST (UK) »
By the way, one more thought, the present owner of the Knockdow Estate, Peter Blacker, also owns the Glenstriven (Ardtarig) estate ...

Offline sonofcam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 02:22 BST (UK) »
GC1660 and Themeda 99 - Thank you for the lively exchange during July which was most interesting. Particularly appreciate the information on the paper on Place Names of the Knockdow Estate by Augusta Lamont read to the Annual Meeting of the Gaelic Society of Inverness 28 January 1927 and printed in the Transactions of the Society 1926-1927 published in 1932.
Thanks to your in formation and the good offices of a dealer in Fort William, Royal Mail and Australia Post, I now have a copy of the book. Contact me off line if you are interested in a scan of the 22 x A5 pages making up the article.
This article has certainly cleared up large parts of my query posted in Feb 2009.
I am persevering slowly with search for the roots of the Brown family of Inverchaolain and recently have received independent confirmation of the name change from McGilmichal in the mid-Eighteenth century, not far removed from when the Lamonts purchased Kilmichael farm.
Rereading the Old and New Statistical Accounts in conjunction with Augusta Lamont's paper highlights the extent of depopulation of Inverchaolain that came with the change to sheep farming and led to the major lifestyle disruption of the poorer people of the parish.
My Brown ancestor made the career change to fisherman around this time and moved to Rothesay.
Thank you again,
David

Offline themeda99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 02:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I would appreciate a copy of the paper. I am very grateful to gc1660 for her knowledge of the area. She is a fantastic source of info which is hard to get 15000 kms from Cowal, and simply hard to get.