Author Topic: inverchaolin  (Read 65165 times)

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: inverchaolin
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 02:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the compliments.  That's what you get when researching the family history here and when the main branch never moved away but stayed here!

Naturally living here in Colintraive helps ... many placenames still exist today, some ruined, others however totally disappeared almost except for some stones in a field or wood.  Augusta Lamont's little booklet which I found at Inverchaolain Manse helped me finding the rest.

Those of you wanting an old map of inverchaolain with lots of place names on it, just let me know ...

I hope to be going back next week to Inverchaolain as this week we have a visitor over ... if anybody wants any pictures of any particular graves, let me know ... I might already have them, else I can look and if they exist make them

Offline themeda99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 05:59 BST (UK) »
Danielle, today I posted that book I promised you. You should get it next week.  Kevin

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 06:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Kevin.  I will let you know when I receive it

Offline Heather Jean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 16 August 10 16:32 BST (UK) »
GC1660 and Themeda 99 - Thank you for the lively exchange during July which was most interesting. Particularly appreciate the information on the paper on Place Names of the Knockdow Estate by Augusta Lamont read to the Annual Meeting of the Gaelic Society of Inverness 28 January 1927 and printed in the Transactions of the Society 1926-1927 published in 1932.
Thanks to your in formation and the good offices of a dealer in Fort William, Royal Mail and Australia Post, I now have a copy of the book. Contact me off line if you are interested in a scan of the 22 x A5 pages making up the article.
This article has certainly cleared up large parts of my query posted in Feb 2009.
I am persevering slowly with search for the roots of the Brown family of Inverchaolain and recently have received independent confirmation of the name change from McGilmichal in the mid-Eighteenth century, not far removed from when the Lamonts purchased Kilmichael farm.
Rereading the Old and New Statistical Accounts in conjunction with Augusta Lamont's paper highlights the extent of depopulation of Inverchaolain that came with the change to sheep farming and led to the major lifestyle disruption of the poorer people of the parish.
My Brown ancestor made the career change to fisherman around this time and moved to Rothesay.
Thank you again,
David

I was most interested to read your comments regarding the Brown family and the name change. It may help me in my search for Archibald Brown and Mary McKellar who had a son born in 1780, also by the name of Archibald. I haven't found any of his family and so was interested in the name change but, other than this discussion forum, was not aware of any corroborating resources.

What particularly caught my attention was your reference to a Brown ancestor who moved to Rothesay. My Archibald Brown and family from Stronyaraig also had a connection to an Archibald Brown of Rothesay who was a merchant there and I was wondering if this is just coincidence or if there was a possible link.

I have a little information on this man, who I know was living in Rothesay circa 1860, so if you think this sounds like a possibility I may have some more information for you.

Regards,
Heather Jean

BROWN / WEIR / HARKNESS / McKELLAR / WHITE / McIVER / LOCHHEAD / CLARK: Inverchaolain, Dunoon, Innellan, Rothesay
McISAAC / ALLAN: Crieff, Perthshire, Stirling, Polmont, Raploch, Fintry
CRAWFORD / BROWN / McKELLAR / FISHER: Bonhill, Dunbarton, Argyll

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 16 August 10 17:31 BST (UK) »
I have just read this thread with considerable interest. My grandmother was a Brown (married name McDougall) who lived in Dunoon, although born in Kinning Park in Glasgow. Her grandfather was Daniel Brown born in 1811 in Point of Towart. His parents were John Brown and Margaret Harkness. Does anyone know how Daniel Brown and his wife link into this thread?
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline malevich

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 04 September 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
HI; new here; my great-grandfather is Finley (or Finlay) Brown born in Inverchaolian, Argyyll in 1863; his mother is Janet Turner; he had a sister Jessie Brown b. 1853 and a younger brother Robert Mitchell Brown b. 1871; I believe Janet Tutrner married a John Brown b. 1808 and that he adopted Finlay and Jessie; John is the son of Alexander brown (1777--1862) who is the brother of the Archibald Brown that has been talked about on here; I'm trying to see if anyone has any info on Finlay/Jessie or Janet as I think John is Finlay's step=father; thanks  :)

Offline Colesville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 06 September 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi gc1660

I am very interested in your comments concerning the Curries.  I have Sir Williams "Sword and Harp" but am trying to locate my line.

My family legend says that my Great-Great-Great Grandfather was named Nathaniel Currie.   In 1790, my GGG Grandfather emigrated to Belfast to apprentice as a tailor and then moved to County Armagh.  I have detailed information on his sons and the succeeding generations. His eldest son (my ancestor) emigrated to Ontario, Canada to found the village of Glencoe.  However, I have been unable to verify any information concerning his existence and/or other information about the family in Scotland.

Would you have any information or places to look that might be helpful? 

Thanks

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 06 September 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Colesville - and welcome!  :D

I see you have also posted here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,480981.msg3397420.html#msg3397420

It might be best if you could clarify where your ancestor came from - Kirkudbright or Argyll - and we should keep in mind not to duplicate information across the two threads. 

Thanks.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline sonofcam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
Malevich,
Your post re Finlay Brown caught my interest due to the reference to my ancestor Alexander Brown (1777-1864)(brother to Archibald)
Checking through the data I have collected so far on the Inverchaolain Browns unfortunately identified that John born 1808 appeared to be the son of another Alexander Brown and Mary Cameron, not Alexander Brown and Mary Currie.
It has taken a few days to prove it but I can confirm everything else in your post: Some notes follow:
Alexander Brown (son of Finlay Brown and Mary Turner) of Brackley beg married Janet Turner 19 January 1846 and had at least five children - Margaret 1846, Donald 1848, Catherine 1854, Janet (Jessie) 1858 and Finlay born at Knockdow on 10 November 1862. Alexander died a pauper aged 80 on 5 October 1863. I have not found a second marriage for Janet but she was with John and their 6 month old son Robert Mitchell in 1871. John's death certificate 25 June 1885 confirm his mother was Mary Cameron and he is listed as the widower of Janet Turner / Brown.
I will contact you later off list.
Regards,
David Bailey
Brisbane AUS.