Author Topic: Iliffe family Cleckheaton  (Read 4693 times)

Offline Louisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Iliffe family Cleckheaton
« on: Monday 08 March 04 20:21 GMT (UK) »
 Am researching the Iliffe family from Cleckheaton. Have birth certif. of Anne,b.1804 and William, b 1806 to Edward and Mary Iliffe  in the parish of Birstall. Don't seem able to get back any further. Any suggestions please.?  

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Iliffe family Cleckheaton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louisa

Sorry we have been so little help to you on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I know this is not going to help at all !!

BUT

I have an index of burials at St Peter's Church Birstall (1813 - 1870) and there are no Iliffe's listed at all......  at least you know where they are NOT buried !
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Louisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Ticker. Have only just found your message, but thanks for your kind enquiry. Brick wall I'm afraid. I've rechecked my certificates and find  Ann Iliffe, d.of Ed. and Mary b.1802 of Sykes in the township of  Liversidge in the parish of Birstall. Her brother William b.1806 from Cleckheaton. Don't know if this helps any? You would think somewhere there'd be the odd Iliffe still around. wouldn't you!!? Thanks again for your continued interest. Louisa.

Offline Louisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 09:55 GMT (UK) »
KathyM Many thanks for your interest. For a moment I thought "at last". Have been chasing these Iliffes for donkeys years, still think that one day something will pop up! Don't know Yorkshire intimately being a Derbyshire Lass originally, so am not sure if information re Sykes is any help to anyone, or Liversidge as given to Ticker.
Hope you will keep the name in mind and thanks again for your interest. Regards Louisa.

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louisa

Liversedge.......is in the parish of Birstall .......where many of my family have lived over the years.....at various times.

It is close to Heckmondwike, Gomersal & Cleckheaton......the locals have a joke that the areas  all blend into each other...and call it 'Cleckheckmondsedge'...... The sedge is pronounced sidge ......

The'Sykes' you refer to means nothing to me ..... but possibly refers to a building or yard ......  you may be interested to know that the area has a lot of historical connections.....with the Luddites, Chartists in the 1800's ..... and civil war - as it is close to Adwalton Moor......(if you have ever read Charlotte Bronte's 'Shirley' - it is set here and will give you a perfect idea of what it was like when your ancestors where around ....... a lot of family's emigrated to Australia from the area in the mid 1800's when the mill's introduced more machinery !

I will habe a look for Illiffe's ....... it is quite a common name in the area - especially Morley .  I edit a magazine for our local family histroy group - would you like me to put in a request for help for you ?  We have no-one on our member's interest list researching the name - but some-one may be able to help !
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Ticker. Have only just found your message, but thanks for your kind enquiry. Brick wall I'm afraid. I've rechecked my certificates and find  Ann Iliffe, d.of Ed. and Mary b.1802 of Sykes in the township of  Liversidge in the parish of Birstall. Her brother William b.1806 from Cleckheaton. Don't know if this helps any? You would think somewhere there'd be the odd Iliffe still around. wouldn't you!!? Thanks again for your continued interest. Louisa.

Hi Louisa

Sorry - I still can't find the Iliffe's you refer to - hopefully someone else will.

Don't give up!

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Louisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply KathyM. I just love it. Heckmodndwike,Gomersal, Cleckeaton, its like a song title,just rolls off your tongue. Fascinating too about the luddites, must read up my Shirley again. William moved to Manchester and I read recently about the conditions there in the early 1800's, in the working class areas. How they survived it all is amazing. No wonder their daughter Eliz. escaped thro' marriage to Eyam, Derbys.
I was surprised to hear Iliffe is not uncommon name in that area. Yes please I'd really appreciate you putting the name in your local family history group. Who knows what might result. Thanks again for your interest and good luck with your own research. Louisa.