Author Topic: The Gunpowder Mills.  (Read 2811 times)

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
The Gunpowder Mills.
« on: Tuesday 24 April 07 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hello.....
   I wasnt aware of this industury in Argyll,stumbled across this site.which gives some names,descrptions of work, and conditions.

http://www.gunpowder-in-argyll.com/

.............................cheers from chrissy.
Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Gunpowder Mills.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 03:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for Posting that Alan and I have not been out that way for years, might have a trip out that way at some point, prhaps the next nice day,
Some of the names I reconise of the larger families in the area.
Sybil
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 07 02:01 BST (UK) »
A good book on the subject is Dangerous Energy by Wayne Cocroft ISBN 9781850747185.

It is published by English Heritage but the gazetteer at the back covers the whole country and the book describes explosive manufacture from early days of black powder through to much nastier things nowadays.
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 07 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Dunoon one was near where my granny used to live.  There is a book alled Old Dunoon and Cowal and there is a couple of pictures of the area in there.  :)
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow