Author Topic: Templeton/Scott  (Read 8663 times)

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Templeton/Scott
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 July 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jock,

I found you some tempting fish to chew on!

[Might help to banish that "sad melancholy roar of the withdrawing tide of saith" from your mind.]

So I'll come down off the fence and step in to the boat with you as well!

Thanks for the fish and the other bits  :D 
What is that you are quoting? I am only a simple being you know  :)

The Bushmills area certainly seem to be loaded with wisps of my ancestors.

Interesting that Jno. Templeton was a victualler, that goes along with my (previously alluded to) impressions of family occupations and tendencies, if only I could prove he was related ;D

Really significant is that a Joseph Scott was an owner at Ballyoglagh in 1876. He was probably Maggie's father.

The marriage you found at Dunseverick is definitely my 2nd gt grandparents.

"Try 'n' make somethin' out of MacNAGHTEN ...
[Hint: You won't need miraculous powers!]"

The MacNaghten's were indeed close neighbours of Hugh Colgan of Ardihannon and I would not be surprised if they were some influence on young Charles junior becoming a policeman. Barron Runkerry may even have been his sponsor to the Met but this is all supposition.

Once again Jock, I thank you for your epistle  ;D
All therein is duly noted.

jc

"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Kimberley

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Templeton/Scott
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 03:44 GMT (UK) »
jc,

Another family tradition, eh!
What might that be?

[More than the publicaning?
 Messrs. MONTGOMERY & SCOTT
 ran a distillery in Belfast.

It was started in the 18thC.
 Not sure how long it survived though.
 Alongside Francis, then John, TURNLY
 who ran the brewery.]

On review I note that your JS is not explicitly noted as being "of Bushmills" - only his daughter Margaret is designated thus.

Now, given that she was a minor, there is obviously a strong possibility that she might well have been resident in her father's house there.

[So JS might have been a (substantial?) resident in Bushmills - perhaps having made his "fortune" elsewhere and retired there.

Might be worth looking at the Tennison GROVES  will extracts (on LDS films), or else the Registry of Deeds in Dublin, for any entries that might be relevant.]

However, Margaret simply might have been in the village "in service" with a family there.

[Such would seem incongruous with her father being a "Gentleman", though he might have fallen on hard times ....]

Another possibility is that she came to the village, to be near to her future husband's family holding, in order to satisfy the requirements for wedding banns.
[Such usually being (only) 3 weeks residence in the district.]

If she travelled to be married there, this would usually indicate that she was "with child", and was avoiding the embarrassment (to her family) of a "home" wedding.

This circumstance would have been frowned on in late Victorian circles, especially CoI circles ones.

[Earlier, it had been accepted as the norm in
Pb ones, where marriages of girls often happened as early as age 15.
Observing the successful start of a pregnancy was considered as essential, in order to prove the potential fruitfulness of a couple, before they decided to tie the knot formally for life.]

There are obviously many many scenarios in which Margaret may have acquired her TEMPLETON association.

Some might involve extra-marital relations.
[But, of course (harumph!), such never occurred in Victorian times ....]

Others might involve inheritance (of middle name) from her mother's side.

[The public production of the Lord "Templeton" name in the newspapers of the day may have encouraged this, such being chosen in preference to the surnames from the paternal side.]

Keep in mind that Margaret may have been neither a SCOTT nor a TEMPLETON at birth.

[If she was a natural child of a Mr. T then she would have taken her mother's surname (which might have been anything).]

To cover this, you need to look at ALL marriages involving a JS.

[The story of a wayward TEMPLETON lady may be a discreet (reversed) euphamism for the above circumstance.]

The only TEMPLETONs that I know of explicitly were the ones, friends of the McCRACKENs, who lived at Orangefield in Belfast in the late 18thC.

[c.f Biography of Mary Ann McCRACKEN by Mary McNEIL.]

Now, publicaning.
[You don't want to get me started on that vein ....
In Roman times the name "publican" meant "tax collector".
Common life path for many non-conformists denied the professions.
Many pubs date from 1830 when restrictions were relaxed (too much).
Religious "reaction" occurred later, especially during the Six Mile Revival. Some publicans even "saw the light" and closed their businesses!
Etc.]

Suffice it to say that it used to be a lifestyle in to which people looked forward to retiring.
[Definitely not nowadays!]

Saskatchewan must have been a shock to the system.

Expect that Margaret would have used the most of any whiskey (that might have been on the go) externally - to deaden the itch of the mosquito stings!

[I remember arriving in Golden, BC a few years ago about mid-day.

Guided family around women partaking in fisticuffs in the street.

Went in to bar - no taps.
Ordered beers - choice "light or dark", from the fridge.
Pfsst, Pfsst - one a tin, the other a bottle.
Er, any chance of a glass for the lady ...?

"Home" brewing was permitted, but only in a large communal Nissen hut in town!]

Migration to Canada was common for Ulster Protestants.

Such was seen as being a more "patriotic" destination than going to America. 

Notwithstanding the voyage was more expensive, more uncomfortable and more dangerous.

[Single women used to get locked in their cabins at night (for their own "safety"), until the enquiry in to Kapunda disaster in 1887 decided to return them control over their own fates.  Sadly, too late for some ...]

The lady I mentioned was Martha SCOTT, who married James BASHFORD, then took up with her first cousin William WHITTLE(Y), a publican.

John

Interested in your comment of inquiry into disaster in 1887 of Kapunda -re locking single women in cabins.

My interest is in the disaster in 1887 and subsequent findings/inquiries etc