Author Topic: "Minister of the Wooden Room" Herbert Robinson FRANCIS  (Read 3811 times)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"Minister of the Wooden Room" Herbert Robinson FRANCIS
« on: Tuesday 24 April 07 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All!!!
I am researching the Francis family at the moment....
I have a couple of queries.
Firstly....
In the 1871c
Herbert R Francis 1838 ..........is "Minister of the Wooden Room" possibly .........Laurence road.
what does this mean?

secondly this fellows father was Samuel Francis born about 1806.....born Hoddesdon.....and in 51 census he was a Portrait painter in London.....all his children were born in Cheshunt in and about 1830s.........Is there any reference to the man....being an artist...
Jo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
Re: "Minister of the wooden room" Herbert Robinson Francis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 12:32 BST (UK) »
Jo

In the 1871 Census entry for Herbert R Francis, I read the address of The Wooden Room as Lattimore Road (which is indeed a road in St Albans).

The Wooden Room, in Lattimore Road, belonging to the Plymouth Brethren, was built by Mrs. Worley, of New Barns; opened 31 December, 1865.

From: 'The city of St Albans: Advowson and charities', A History of the County of Hertford: volume 2 (1908), pp. 510-15. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=43315. Date accessed: 24 April 2007.

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Minister of the wooden room" Herbert Robinson Francis
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Adrian,
This is interesting......I found his brother Samuel ( Tea merchant) having written hymns....so we have a religious family......
Adrian.
If you come across their father the artist can you let me know.......?he was born Hoddesdon.
Jo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.