Author Topic: Service record v Medal Card  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Service record v Medal Card
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 April 07 18:17 BST (UK) »
I do have a further problem which I hope someone might help with: Donald MacDonald was in the 2nd Batt, which I have found out was attached to the 7th division at its formation in Oct 1914. The Division landed at Zebrugge on 6th Oct and later moved to Ypres. I have obtained the Medal Cards of all the Donald MacDonalds in the Scots Guards and only one has a qualifying date of 7.10.1914. All the rest have dates in either August or December (2 have no dates at all). Can I be sure this must be "my" Donald? It seems the only way I can obtain his regiment number, which I will need to get the service record.
I am still trying to find his death certificate, which I also need according to the Guards Archives form- he is proving very elusive!

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 April 07 19:51 BST (UK) »
Do you have any details of next of kin? from a census or other means?

My Guardsman records had his NOK documented if you pass this to the SG archivist surely he can pull the service records and check them?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 April 07 20:41 BST (UK) »
I don't know if the Archivist would be willing to accept other information - the form says I must have the Death Certificate to prove his being deceased (he was born in 1885!). He married in August 1914, so I presume his new bride was NOK at the time -  his father had dumped him in an orphanage when his mother died in 1890. I do have a copy of his birth certificate, so I suppose the Archivist might check this to ensure he extracts the correct record. Does anyone know if the Archivist might move without a death certificate?

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire