Author Topic: Jedburgh Baptisms - look up please  (Read 15426 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Jedburgh Baptisms - look up please
« on: Tuesday 24 April 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Was hoping someone could look up Jedburgh baptisms between 1801 and about 1820 for this family:

James Rutherford and Helen/Nelly Elliot - James is a farmer.

I have the following children already:

Ann Rutherford bap 25 Oct 1791 Birdhope Craig, Northumberland
Mary Rutherford bap 28 Mar 1793 Birdhope Craig, Northumberland
John Rutherford bap 8 Dec 1794 Birdhope Craig, Northumberland
Thomas Rutherford bap 4 Sept 1798 Birdhope Craig, Northumberland
George Rutherford bap 24 Aug 1799 Jedburgh
Andrew Hugan Rutherford bap 5 Nov 1801 Jedburgh

But I know that they also had 6 more children:

Adam Rutherford abt 1802?
James Rutherford abt 1805/06
Robert Rutherford
Alexander Rutherford
William Rutherford abt 1815/1816
Henry Rutherford abt 1818/1819

Any help would be appreciated  :-\

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: Jedburgh Baptisms - look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 14:58 BST (UK) »
1851 census

Robert Rutherford 
Jedburgh Roxburgh 
Servant 
TRY THIS SITE
ALL RUTHERFORD FAMILY

http://www.wayfinding.net/Rutherford.htm

the following on the RutherfordS children of Robert S and Sarah H /Wallace / Rutherford included

Nettie Mae Rutherford 7 Oct 1882 married  John Baldwin 7 Dec 1918  d 27 April 1921

Howard W Rutherford  11 Feb 1886

David Rutherford  12 April 1887

Mabel Rutherford 26 Oct 1891

Walter W Rutherford  11 July 1893

Beatrice Rutherford 1897

Robert J Rutherford  25 Aug 1900

sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sylvia,

Not my lot, but an interesting read all the same  ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 04:06 BST (UK) »

IS THIS YOUR FAMILY
SYLVIA

Husband
 Andrew RUTHERFORD   
 Born 1801  Place  Jedburgh   
 Wife
 Margaret ELLIOT   
 Born   1803  Place  Jedburgh 
   Margaret RUTHERFORD   

B  29 Aug 1827    Jedburgh   
    D  5 May 1894     Milang South AU   
    Buried  May 1894   South Australia   
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 18:58 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not  ;)

My Andrew Hugan Rutherford (bap 1801 Jedburgh) married Betsey Brodie and went to New York where he died in 1891 in Gouverner, NY.

But it seems that Rutherford Elliott matches were pretty common down there by the looks of things!

Jenny

Offline BettyTbull

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 July 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I saw your post about the Rutherfords.  Ann Rutherford (Oct 10 1791 Birdhope Craig) is my husband's (Wallace Rutherford Turnbull II) ggg grandmother.  She married John Turnbull and they immigrated to Canada in 1824.  I have different parents for her.  I am pretty sure of mine but am curious as to how you came up with yours.
The ones I have are James and Nellie (Eleanor Potts) Rutherford.  Her grandparents were William and Mary Potts of Elsdon, Northumberland.
It looks like you have tied the Rutherfords as to having returned to Scotland and Jedburgh where they originated.  Do you have documentation of this?
I am off to Scotland on Tuesday for 10 but would be happy to exchange information when I return.
Thanks for any input you can give.
Betty

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 July 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty,

How lovely to hear from another Rutherford researcher!

I came up with the parents below (James Rutherford and Helen Elliot) from Thomas Rutherford's (b. 1798) death certificate. He married Jane Sutherland in Berriedale, Caithness where he was a shepherd after the clearances. They had 10 children and he died in Ayr in 1879 where he was still farming sheep.

I have been in touch with descendants of this gentleman (Helen Oliver and Bronwyn Williams) they have done a great deal of research and I can share their information with you if you PM me.

Bronwyn particuarly was in possession of notes from her aunt I think that mention all of the children and tid bits about them. As it turns out I had no record of what happened to Ann (b. 1791), so was most excited to see she appears to have emigrated to Canada. Do you have records of this? Where did you get Eleanor Potts from?

The notes from Bronwyn's aunt recorded that James and Nellie/Helen went to Canada first where Nelly died of Cholera in abt 1832 then the family moved to Gouverneur, St Lawrence, New York.
Of the children we have records of Mary, John, Andrew Hugan, James, William and possibly Henry too emigrating with their family to NY state. I have graves and census records if you would like.

Thomas stayed in Scotland as I mentioned but his son Thomas went to America and died in the American Civil War in 1865. George went to America but returned to Scotland and settled in the Minto area in Roxburgh.

The other children we had no record of. I was particularly interested in the son Robert as he is the claimed father of my illegitimate ancestor James Rutherford born in Caithness in abt 1837. His mother was Jane Sutherland's sister Elizabeth.

The only record of any of the Rutherford's who went to NY returning to Scotland was George, whose son James was born in America in abt 1826, all his other children were born in Scotland.

Happy to exchange info  ;D

Jenny

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 July 09 10:55 BST (UK) »
Just checked the Baptisms to refresh my memory....

Ann Rutherford 1791 - parents James Rutherford & Nelly (Birdhope Craig)
Mary Rutherford 1793 - parents James Rutherford & Nelly (Birdhope Craig)
John Rutherford 1794 - parents James Rutherford & Nelly (Birdhope Craig)
Thomas Rutherford 1798 - parents James Rutherford & Nelly (Birdhope Craig)
George Rutherford 1799 - parents James Rutherford & Nellie Elliot (Jedburgh)
Andrew Hugan Rutherford 1801 - parents James Rutherford & Nellie Elliot (Jedburgh)

No record of the younger Rutherford's. With Thomas' death certificate stating his mother was Helen Elliot I had thought that fitted in quite well, Helen and Nelly are often interchangable and with Nellie Elliot recorded on the Jedburgh baptisms, it confirmed it for me.

George Rutherford's death certificate in 1862 states parents - James Rutherford and Helen Elliot also.

Was Nelly Potts on Ann's death certificate?

Perplexing..... :-\

Jenny

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 July 09 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty,

Just checked the IGI for James Rutherford and Eleanor Potts and there is a marriage in 1775 in Elsdon, Northumberland, is that a bit early for the parents of Ann in 1791 especially as they were still having children in the 1800's??

Do you have other children to Nelly and James prior to Ann?

Jenny