Author Topic: Jedburgh Baptisms - look up please  (Read 15425 times)

Offline BettyTbull

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jedburgh Baptisms - look up please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 July 09 15:49 BST (UK) »
I am attaching a record from a man in Australia - We had knowledge of only Ann, Mary and John.  Certainly it doesn't seem likely that Nellie would be having children into her 50s.  (We also have passed along through generations that there was an Eleanor in the family as a maternal grandmother - so this all seemed to fit.

Ann's death certificate only states one of her son's names as a witness - it is from Canada.  She died Oct 9 1877 in Ontario.
Do you have a marriage certificate for James and Helen Rutherford - were they married in Scotland or Northumberland?
Appreciate the communication back and forth. 

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 11:19 BST (UK) »
Betty how did you find out that your Ann Rutherford was baptised in 1791 in Birdhope Craig, Northumberland? Does her death certificate have a birthplace or age on it? She married John Turnbull in 1818 in Falstones, and if she was born in 1791 she would have been 27 years old, not unreasonable but most women back then married much earlier....just a query.

I will give you my reasons for having James Rutherford and Helen (Nelly) Elliot as the parents for my brood of Rutherford's, so you can see my reasoning.  ;)

Written family information from Bronwyn's great great aunt, gave us the 12 names and some biographical information about them. In the notes it mentions that most of the family went to America and this started us looking.

Two baptisms show parents as James Rutherford and Nellie Elliot in Jedburgh. One of these is George Rutherford (baptised 1799) his death certificate confirms that his parents were James Rutherford and Helen Elliot. The other Jedburgh baptism is Andrew Hugan Rutherford in 1801, the witness at the baptism is John Rutherford, gardener, Monteviot, Roxburgh.

Andrew Hugan Rutherford can be found in the US census in 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880 as a farmer in Gouverneur, St Lawrence county, New York State. He is buried in the Riverside Cemetery Gouverneur, along with several of his brothers and his father James Rutherford.

James Rutherford's headstone in the Gouverneur Cemetery gives birth and death dates of 1768-1846 (I can send you a photograph of the headstone if you would like). This differs with your data giving James' birth much earlier. I have not as yet found a marriage for James Rutherford and Helen (Nellie) Elliot but think it would be about 1790 in Northumberland as James would have been about 22 then. I have found a baptism for James in 1768 though.

It shows James Rutherford being baptised in Crailing, Roxburgh on 25th April 1768. His parents are shown as John Rutherford of Mount Tiviot and Mary Clerk. I believe this to be the same John Rutherford of Monteviot (gardener) who witnessed Andrew Hugan Rutherford's baptism in 1801. This would be Andrew Hugan Rutherford's grandfather. I have a marriage for John Rutherford and Mary Clark on 11th February 1759 in Crailing, Roxburgh which fits nicely with James' baptism in 1768.

As I have mentioned before Thomas Rutherford's death certificate gives his parents as James Rutherford and Helen Elliot also. In all his census returns he is born abt 1798 and shows as being born in England, sometimes it states Northumberlandshire. The only matching baptism is the one mentioned in Birhope Craig, Northumberland to James and Nelly.

The other children to this couple in Birdhope Craig (with the exception of Ann) all show up in St Lawrence County, New York State.

Mary Rutherford married Thomas Patton in 1818 in St Boswells, Roxburgh and they had 6 children in St Boswells before leaving for America where they had at least 2 more in NY. Mary died in 1877 in New York State.

John Rutherford married Janet (Jeanette) and had at least two children in NY state. He was a farmer and died in 1880 and is buried in Gouverneur, NY State.

To tie Thomas even further to this NY family his son Thomas Rutherford (b 1834) died in battle in 1865 in the American Civil War, I feel that he went to America to his aunts and uncles. George also ties to the American Rutherford's by his son James being born in New York State in 1825. This James also married into the Elliot clan, his wife Isabella Elliot was born in Jedburgh to Thomas Elliot of Nesbit, Roxburgh. Nesbit is very close to Monteviot and Jedburgh, I have visited all three places when I was in Scotland.

I have not been able to go back from Helen (Nelly) Elliot as yet, though I would think she would be born abt 1768-1772. I am also thinking that she came from Roxburghshire, but have nothing concrete, that is just a hunch :)

Let me know what you think?

Jenny

P.S. Enjoy Scotland, I lived there for 2 years and I miss it terribly!!
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline BettyTbull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 September 09 13:29 BST (UK) »
Jen,
So sorry that it took me so long to get back to you. I have been doing a lot of researching on the family and think that you are correct that your Ann Rutherford is not ours.  We have determined that ours was born in 1799 and are still looking. Thanks for taking the time to respond and help me out!

Betty

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 September 09 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty,

No worries, Rutherford is a pretty common name in the borders region, good luck with the search :)

It has taken me over 10 years to find the information on my Rutherford's, they have been a great challenge!! I hope you don't have to wait that long too  ;)

Jenny

P.S - I hope you enjoyed Scotland!
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Clawsywp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 00:57 BST (UK) »
hi
I have a connection to that George Rutherford I beleive.

One of my gg aunties is listed on the 1871 cenus as living with a George rutherford, Sheriff at the scaurs, jedburgh

I found his testament he died in 1877, well i beleive its the same man, living at the scaurs and a sheriff and bank agent.

i figure since he was on the 1871 jedburgh  cenus listed as being 70 then he was born around  1800 cause cenus is often out a bit.
i found a george rutherford in jedburgh born 1799 which would fit him as being near 70. the only one in jedburgh born approx 1800 is the one i found

george william george 1799, parents the same as you listed.JAMES RUTHERFORD/NELLY ELLIOT

i think this is the same George well highly probable

on the 1871 cenus he is listed as having a christina a rutherford (i beleive she is christina archibald) living with him, listed as Grt Neice.

Christinas father is a thomas somerville rutherford, her grand father is william rutherford. i do not know any further as yet. but from williams childrens names i beleive there is an ann oliver and an archibald douglasand an andrew from williams side. (as williams other children have names from his wifes side and i know the wifes side going back a far bit)

Offline Clawsywp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 01:03 BST (UK) »
oh also

i looked at the 1851 cenus, it shows him as 51 living at the scaurs, being a sheriff clerk and bank agent.
with him there are two people who are not servants and its really hard to read but it looks like one is a short name starts with A and a longer name starts with M. hard to read though i cant see what their relation is to him. i dont think it is son

Offline Clawsywp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 01:09 BST (UK) »
ah i see you have a death cert that has his parents names

"George Rutherford's death certificate in 1862 states parents - James Rutherford and Helen Elliot also"

i see i have the wrong person i will double check my georges death now, thx

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 October 09 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Clawsywp,

Welcome to rootschat  ;D

Sorry for the tardy reply, I have been away for work. It is a pity your George Rutherford is not from my Rutherford family, and I wish you luck in finding where he comes from. I must say my Rutherford's stumped me for years as it is such a common name, especially in the Borders!! I spent hours pouring over death certificates at the New Register House when I lived in Edinburgh checking hundreds of Rutherford's in case the parents matched!! Found some amazing ones too  ;)

Let me know if I can be of any help? I am no longer in Edinburgh unfortunately but might be able to point you in the right direction...

Jenny

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 October 09 05:52 BST (UK) »
HELLO THESE MAY HELP
[JENNY I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS BEFORE]

1841 Person Search1841 Address Search1851 Person Search1851 Address Search1861 Address Search

Graham Maxwell Ancestry - Free Census SearchAbout UsBookshopFamily Tree PackagesCustom ResearchFree Census SearchFree ResourcesContact UsLinks

http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/61search.aspx
JUST 1ST 4 RUTHERFORDS

John Rutherford                 53 Jedburgh Chirnside
Charlotte Rutherford            61 Jedburgh Duns 
Robert Rutherford               43 Jedburgh Newlands
Wm. Rutherford                  55 Jedburgh Galashiels
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes