Author Topic: Filling in some blanks  (Read 1778 times)

Offline rgeldard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Filling in some blanks
« on: Thursday 02 December 04 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for some pointers to help me complete some missing bits of information.

From FamilySearch, I've managed to trace the following:

Husband's Name "Shepherd"
Born abt 1797 <West Mersea, Essex>
Married 1824 West Mersea, Essex

Wife's Name "Susanna"
Born 1801 West Mersea, Essex
Married 1824 West Mersea, Essex
Died 28 April 1861 West Mersea, Essex

I can't help thinking that I have enough information here to help me find out the first name of Mr Shepherd, and the maiden name of Susanna - but I just can't think how.

Annoyingly, all of their children (who I have managed to trace so far) were born prior to 1837 registration, so a birth certificate isn't an option.

Sadly I'm useless at logic puzzles, if anyone out there is any good at them and can help with this one, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Richard
Butler - Ramsgate (Kent)
Shepherd - West Mersea (Essex)
Tettersell - Brighton (Sussex)
Buss - Maidstone (Kent)
Geldard - Leeds (Yorkshire)

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Filling in some blanks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 December 04 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

I would suggest that perhaps the death Certificate of Susanna may help determine who her husband was, as he maybe the informant on it. 

When you say you have traced the children, do you know where they were born.  Have you checked local church records for baptismals. 

The census of 1861 or earlier may help.

Happy searching

:)Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline rgeldard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 04 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Genni,

Is it possible for me to be able to track down a death certificate from the date and first name alone ?

All of the children were born in the same area (West Mersea).  Probably a very silly question, so I apologise in advance.  Is there a central location to check church records, or will this be a matter of visiting a resource library local to the area which I'm researching ?

Thanks
Richard
Butler - Ramsgate (Kent)
Buss - Maidstone (Kent)

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 December 04 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Richard

Not  silly question. 

Susanna will be registered under her married name of Shepherd.  As the date is April it should be registered in the JUNE QTR of 1861.  I checked the Freebmd site and couldn't find a reference, but it's continually being updated as more and more records are transcribed.

You could try looking it up on the following link but note there are costs involved.
www.1837online.com

You can also search microfiche of the BMD's at various family history places.

As I am from Australia someone else on this site maybe able to advise where these can be found.

Cheers
Genni

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 December 04 10:19 GMT (UK) »
You may be able to track some useful information by following this link. West Mersea is indexed as Mersea West, by the way:
http://www.nivek-systems.co.uk/genuki/ESS/index.html#common
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rgeldard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 December 04 19:38 GMT (UK) »
*slaps own head* - what a fool am I ? Whatever made me think that the death would be registered with a Maiden name !?

Thanks for the above tips all.

I'm off to hang my head in shame.

Richard
Butler - Ramsgate (Kent)
Buss - Maidstone (Kent)

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 December 04 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Don't know whether you've already tried the Essex County Council website - gives details of the Records Office and branches.

try:    www.essexcc.gov.uk
and then go to 'enjoying essex' which will bring up a choice of options - including Archives - and tell you opening details, etc.

All of the Essex records held are at Chelmsford, or if you only want West Mersea, they'll be held at Colchester too.  They also do a search service if you're unable to get there - I think it's about £18.00 an hour - so obviously the more information you can give them the better.

I won't be able to get to Colchester Records Office for a good few months otherwise I'd offer to have a quick shifty for you !

Helen x
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 December 04 22:08 GMT (UK) »

Annoyingly, all of their children (who I have managed to trace so far) were born prior to 1837 registration, so a birth certificate isn't an option.

Thanks
Richard

Hi,

I don't know if you've tried  this option yet to get his Christian  name:

Do you know who any of those children married?

If you do, have you tried looking for  a marriage entry in the BMD's for any of their children's marriages?
Their  children  probably would have got married after 1837, going by your marriage dates of  their parents Shepherd and Susanna

You may be able to  find a marriage  for one of those children. A marriage cert for any of their  children should  give you the father Shepherd's Christian name.

:)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u