Author Topic: CARVER Hitchin  (Read 11351 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CARVER Hitchin
« on: Thursday 26 April 07 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Don't know if anyone can help with this one - it isn't a very specific look-up, just a hope of some sightings of these people :D This is what I have so far

Apprentices
1744 CARVER Sam Thos of Southill Beds to Edw Watts of Hitchin Whlw £12

Samuel CARVER (Wheelwright) married Mary PRYOR at Hitchin St. Mary on 15 April 1759.

CARVER John, Thomas, Elizabeth and Mary baptised Hitchin St Mary 25 Mar 1768 children of Samuel and Mary

Given Samuel's occupation and Bedfordshire origin I am trying to tie them in with my Wrestlingworth wheelwright Carvers - so need to establish what happened to them all. If anyone can spot burials, marriages,  anything that would be fantastic :D

Cheers Jan ;)

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Hitchin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just nudging this back up the board. I've got nowhere with this one. No marriages showing on the IGI in Herts for the children - how well extracted is Hertfordshire?

I did notice this marriage which could be a first one for Samuel

Ippollitts 10 Oct 1754 Samuel Carver to Margaret Walker

but as the NBI doesn't start till 1800 I'm unlikely to find a burial for her :(

Oh well  :D

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 07 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

There are no entries for the surname CARVER in the Hertfordshire Burial Index 1800-1851.

The Allen Index for marriages in Hertfordshire has seven CARVER entries for the period 1604-1759.  The last two would appear to be of interest and from the parish records the details are   ...
St.Ippollitts - Samuel CARVER of Hitchin and Margaret WALKER of this parish  were married by Banns 10Oct1754.
Hitchin St.Mary. -  Samuel CARVER of Hitchin, wheelwright and Mary PRYOR spinster of this parish were married by banns on 15thApr1759. Witnesses Robert DRAPER and William MARYATT (Church official).  (No mention of Samuel being a widower.)

A search of St.I burial records revealed  - 27Oct1758 Margaret, wife of Samuel CARVER of Hitchin, Wheelwright.

Hope this helps.

Regards   ...   Peter

Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 07 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter
That is really helpful, thank you. From the occupation and place of residence it does look highly likely that the two Samuel's are one and the same. Margaret's burial date adds weight. I wonder if she and Samuel had any children?

Does the Allen index only cover the period 1604-1759? Just wondering about marriages for the children of Samuel and Mary.

As there are no burials in Herts 1800-1851, Samuel and family (at least the boys and Mary unless she remarried) must have died before this date or moved out of county - nothing showing in Beds though.

Thanks again
Regards
Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

There were actually 11 CARVER entries in the Allen Index, the latest four being ...
23Apr1863 Gentlemans Magazine Fred.Charles CARVER of Royston to Kate DANSEY.
Jul1871 Hoddesdon Joseph CARVER Hoddesdon to Hester STUBBINS of Henham,Essex.
03Feb1878 Hodddesdon William CARVER of Stratford Essex to Lucy RANDALL of Hoddesdon
21Apr1879 Ware St.Mary William Adolph CARVER of Ware to Fanny ROBERSON of Ware

Regards   ...   Peter

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Peter - it does look as if the family may well have moved or all died without marrying pre 1800. Certainly by 1841 there are no Carvers in Hertfordshire. In 1851 however there is a John Carver born Hertford c1805 living in St Pancras with wife Amelia born Maidstone - I have a feeling he could be linked. No baptism or marriage showing on the IGI of course :)
To make things more complicated this family does have non-conformist tendancies - the Southill Carvers were strong Baptists - this wouldn't account for no marriages though.

Does anyone reading this have access to burial records for Hitchin 1768-1800? Any Carvers buried in that time frame would be very helpful. Also I wonder if there was any extra info on this mass baptism?

CARVER John, Thomas, Elizabeth and Mary baptised Hitchin St Mary 25 Mar 1768 children of Samuel and Mary

Thanks again
Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I searched the Hitchin parish burial records and found just one CARVER entry during the period 1768-1800 viz 01Dec1777 Mary CARVER widow.

The mass baptism at Hitchin St.Mary 25Mar1768 records children of Samuel and Mary, wheelwright as   ...   
1. Thomas born 27Jan1860.   2. Mary 10May1861.    3. John 02Dec1862  and 4. Elizabeth 04Apr1865.

Regret no trace of a John CARVER baptism at Hertford circa 1805.

Regards   ...   Peter

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 17:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Peter. Although much remains a mystery at least I now know Samuel must have died before Dec 1777 and that from his birthdate John is unlikely to be mine.
Cheers Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 November 07 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter
If you have the time at some point could you possibly  check the Allen Index and Hitchin burials again using the variants Calver, Carvel(l), Carvil(l) and Carvile please?
Thank you in anticipation
Regards
Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale