Author Topic: navy number - where to go from here? I'VE FOUND HIM!  (Read 3435 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
navy number - where to go from here? I'VE FOUND HIM!
« on: Friday 27 April 07 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, i am trying to find out any info about my estranged grandad Desmond Salter - preferably when and where he died eventually. i know he was a dental mechanic in Navy. his number was A.B.Ch. SSX/18764

could anyone tell me where i have to go next to find out anything about my grandad
thanks very much
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: navy number - where to go from here?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
Did you find this info? Have you tried the National Archives or the navy at Southampton?
Lewis/Morgan - Carmarthenshire
Jones - Denbighshire
McCormack/McLoughlin - Liverpool
McKenzie - Liverpool/Lanarkshire/ Aus/USA/NZ
Ballantyne - Glasgow, Liverpool
Evans - Merionethshire
Turnell - Northamptonshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Wood - Nova Scotia, Mass, USA
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Griffiths - Glamorgan and Llanelli
Morgan - Llanelly, Pontardulais
Williams - Llanelly
Bryant ,Chesbro - Massachusetts, USA
Petrie - Connecticut, USA
Winters, Tetley,Oulds - Australia

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: navy number - where to go from here?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 00:12 BST (UK) »
i dont think any organisation to do with the navy will give me any details unless i can prove that he is dead...
so im tackling that via Traceline first!
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: navy number - where to go from here? I'VE FOUND HIM!
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just had some fantastic news! I used traceline to find out whether my grandad was dead or alive and they track them using NHS records and other medical records.

I just received a letter saying that Desmond Salter died in 1995 under the name of Robert Desney!!

Amazing! Now i can get his death certificate and then all the service records relating to him - well relating to Desmond anyway. Do you think i will have to get some proof that they are the same person?? If so how would i do this? I suppose i would have to contact traceline.

Alison

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 07 17:54 BST (UK) »
I was intrigued by this thread.  No connection - just nosey!

So I went noseying around.

Robert Desney
Death Cert Details
April 1995
Age 76
District Darlington Co Durham
Reg B50E
Entry 293

DOB 4.12.1918

So then to find a potential birth certificate:-

Desmond Salter
Mothers maiden Name Salter
Dec 1918
Chelsea vol 1a p 477

Note the child and mother's surnames are the same, district of registration - does that fit with any family history you may have?

Robert Desney - no trace of a birth cert in this quarter at all in England and Wales.

All courtesy of Ancestry!

If the name change was official it should be by Deed Poll  - the problem there is when and where!

Jude
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 June 07 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thankyou ever so much for letting us all know Alison - see they have ways and means that we never could ;)

You could try sending the MoD a copy of your letter from "Traceline" along with all the other stuff they want :-\

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 June 07 20:45 BST (UK) »
yes Mair  -those records that you found are the correct ones - i have desmond's birth certificate and its the one you mentioned.

Further to my last post iv now found out that Desmond changed his name and THEN got married again!
So this means theres a strong possibility that my dad has some more half brothers and sisters!

Yes i have a form to fill in from veterens site and i will send the traceline letter with it.

Anyone know of any other ways other than bt.com of finding out where theres a strong concentration of the surname desney in the uk?
I have searched under theat name for all the north east towns round darlington where "robert" died.

many thanks
Alison

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 June 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
Anyone know of any other ways other than bt.com of finding out where theres a strong concentration of the surname desney in the uk?

The 1984+ birth, marriage, death indexes are good for this (currently free to view http://www.ancestry.co.uk ) but I've just had a quick look and there aren't any birth or marriage entries - just two deaths :-\

Although people can choose to opt out of the published electoral register these days, it can still be quite useful http://www.192.com/ (pay per view)

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 07 13:02 BST (UK) »
thanks - is it true that in order for a death certificate to be issued the registrar either needs a birth cetificate or deed poll record?

Alison