Author Topic: LYNOTT  (Read 4794 times)

Offline cindylou

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LYNOTT
« on: Saturday 28 April 07 04:16 BST (UK) »
Looking for any info on Thomas Lynott (seen it spelled Lynett as well), b. abt. 1830 County Mayo. Married Margret (last name unknown). Son, Michael J., b. abt. 1859, also Peter, Mary Ellen, Anne and maybe Patrick, all born in the Lackan area. Roman Catholic. Immigrated to Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA 1870. Thanks.
McCready(Aghadowey, Londonderry; Woolwich, London; West Ham, Essex);Samuel(Chelsea, London; Edinburgh,Scotland), Caffrey(Balloughly, Cavan); Budden(Stafford, Staffordshire; Rugby, Warwickshire); Lambert(Birmingham, Warwickshire; Rugby) Warwickshire)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: LYNOTT
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi cindylou,

You'd need to establish the Parish in which Thomas was born and also the one in which he married Margaret. The County Mayo Roman Catholic Church Records [/url] may help if you're able to establish the Parish.

Griffiths Valuation extracts for Co. Mayo (1856-7) on John Hayes failteromhat.com website show that there were Lynott families in the Parishes of Kilcummin, Lackan, Mayo and Moygawnagh. 

Christopher

Broken Link

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 10:07 GMT (UK) »
There is submitted information on LDS site for Michael J. Lynott but there's not much detail there (no siblings listed) and as father Thomas born c1850!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cindylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 07 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Our Lynott's were suppose to be from Lackan, Mayo. I haven't been able to find them as yet, but I won't give up. I appreciate your response.
McCready(Aghadowey, Londonderry; Woolwich, London; West Ham, Essex);Samuel(Chelsea, London; Edinburgh,Scotland), Caffrey(Balloughly, Cavan); Budden(Stafford, Staffordshire; Rugby, Warwickshire); Lambert(Birmingham, Warwickshire; Rugby) Warwickshire)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 November 07 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cindylou,

As Christopher says,Griffiths valuation shows  Lynotts in Lacken and Kilcummin which are neighbouring parishes and Moygownhagh which I know nothing of.

For Kilcummin and Lacken the baptisms would be Lacken parish and this site:
http://www.connorsgenealogy.net/Mayo/#church  has some Baptisms and Marriages. The records for that parish were copied out and there are big gaps because the originals were so poor. The ones on the site have been submitted by a kind person but the spellings of some names are open to interpretation. In the ones that are there- sadly there is no Thomas Lynott with a Margaret.

I am wondering if there may have been some baptisms/marriages at Ballycastle for that same area.

best wishes and good luck
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cindylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the help. I will take a wee peek and see. Wish me luck.
Cindy

Offline mariekerr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 12 16:57 BST (UK) »
I have a Thomas Lynott in my tree:  Ellen Golden married Thomas Lynott in the Killala area.  Thomas Lynott died in 1970, his wife in 1966.  Their son Patrick b. 1920, married Mary Rooney in 1960.  They had a son Padraic.

These notes are from my late aunt and it's hard following her indents to determine generations.  However, other Lynott names appear to be: Mary Kate (m. Farrell); Ellen who died at 5 in 1921; Brigid Agnes who died at 1 in 1919; and a John Thomas. 

Because this may not be totally accurate, I suggest looking closely at the 1901 and 1911 censuses, particularly in the comments section where they note others living in the household with a different last name.  You can infer connections.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 October 12 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie,

I have replied on the Golden thread re our connections. Cindylou has not been online for some time now but may see your post- you never know!

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 December 12 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

I have a friend named Lynott - he would be in his mid seventies - whose family originates from around the Killala area. If you think this may be of interest to you, let me know and I'll see what I can find out.

craggagh.