Author Topic: Warren-Wetnall-Buckley 1700's  (Read 13087 times)

Offline Alpha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Warren-Wetnall-Buckley 1700's
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 June 15 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hello
   My great-great-grandfather William Hobbs (1811-1878) had a brother called Robert (known as Robin) who was born 13 July 1809 in Hambleden, Bucks. My notes (from information written down by my gt-gfr Frederick Hobbs in 1896) state that he became a gardener to Mr Cox of Thames Bank, and was a noted horticulturalist. He later inherited the property of John (1 May 1807-19 March 1876) and returned to Hambleden where he was a sexton in the church. John, Robert and William were the first three sons of Francis (b 1783) and Ann (nee Keith). The other children were Alfred (1813-1861), Thomas (b 1818), James (b 1821), Joseph (b 1823) and Mary Ann (b 1825).  I worked out the family tree from the IGI (familysearch.org), and I have a copy of the Will of Thomas Hobbs (gf of Francis).  I hope this helps,
Cheers,
Alpha

Offline glimpse39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 June 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Alpha

That's fantastic - it's the same Robert Hobbs! We knew he was a gardener (from censuses) but to hear he was a noted horticulturist is something special. Interestingly, Judy's late father (john Anthony Hobbs Bowles) was a very keen gardener - and probably never knew about Robert. Judy and I went only last week to Marlow and Hambleden, to have a look around. We didn't find 'Gardeners Cottage', where Robert lived, but after your message I did check back to the 1871 census and see that he then lived in Mill Lane, right next to Thames Bank.
After returning from our visit, I went online and found all the children of Francis and Ann that you mention. I also found an Eleanor Hobbs, christened in Feb 1816. Maybe she didn't survive?
FYI, Robert was married to Mary (don't know her surname), and their children were Elizabeth, John, Thomas and Alfred. John married Eliza Sawyer (of Great Marlow); they had three children, one of whom was Kate Emma Hobbs. She was born in south-east London, but returned to Marlow to live with her 'Sawyer' grandmother. I'm not sure, but I think her mother died, and her father re-married.
Kate married Thomas Bowles, and they lived in Hambleden a while, before moving to the Acton area of London. (In the church in Hambleden, we found a record of Thomas Bowles, baker). Judy's grandfather, John Hobbs Bowles, was born in Hambleden. Of course I can let you have all the details relating to Robert and his off-spring, but I realise that William is the one of direct interest to you!

We'd be very pleased to know more about Francis. You mention his gfather; was his father by any chance John and his mother Ann? I found a Francis Hobbs, christened in 1873 in Hambleden. And would there be any chance of seeing the gfather's will? Clearly that's a very personal document, so I understand if you want to keep it private.

Thank you again for your interesting and helpful response.

kind regards, glimpse39

Offline Alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 09:28 BST (UK) »
Can you work out how to send me your email address, and then I will send you the information I have, but it won't be before the weekend. Sorry!  Yes, John Hobbs married Ann Phazey in 1770.  He was born 1744.  Francis' dates are 1783-1852 and Ann (Keith)'s dates are 1782-1861.  She was a lacemaker.
Cheers
Alpha

Offline glimpse39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Alpha

Thanks for the additional Hobbs info. Looks like I can send you a Personal Message after my third Post on RootsChat. This is my third Post ...  so I'll send you my email address that way. Will have a go at doing that before the weekend.

Many thanks, Glimpse39