Author Topic: Honeywell from Portsea  (Read 9577 times)

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Honeywell from Portsea
« on: Saturday 28 April 07 21:03 BST (UK) »
having received a great deal of help with the Fenn side of the family I am hoping for some on the Honeywell side. So far have my G father Ernest Claude Honeywell b 1902 m to Winifred Henrietta Fenn, his father was Alfred b 1869 and mother Laura Pitt b 1871. Ernest had sisters Lydia b 1904 and Josephine b 1906. Family lore has it that Josephine was institutionalised in the 30's somewhere in south london (possibly Dulwich) an aunt and my G father used to visit her there. Also supposed to be some children from Lydia.
Fenn from Denham Bucks and Honeywell from Downton Wilts

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Honeywell from Portsea
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 07 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicwnacw,

I don't know if you have the 1901 census for Alfred or not but this is the only Alfred Honeywell I could find in Hampshire, his wife's name may be an error but it is very clearly Louisa on the sheet

5 Art Mery Terr, Portsmouth, Southhampton, Hants

Alfred Honeywell Head M 31yrs Carter on farm b. Portsmouth, Hants
Louisa Honeywell Wife M 30yrs b. Portsmouth, Hants
Eva Honeywell Dau 3yrs b. Portsmouth, Hants

Do you think this is them?

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 07 21:23 BST (UK) »
looks life Alfred may have been a soldier in his 20's

1891 census - Barracks, Ipswich, Suffolk

Alfred Honeywell Soldier S 24yrs Driver b. Portsmouth, Hants

and your Laura Pitt appears to be a servant in Portsea

1891 census - 1 Herbert Terr Welch, Portsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire
John Egremont + family
Laura Pitt Serv 20yrs S General Domestic Servant b. Portsmouth, Hants

Hope this helps :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 07 21:28 BST (UK) »
And with his family in 1881:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details 

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Laura is boarding though, probably with her brother:

You probably already have these but just in case  ;)

Jenny

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 07 21:46 BST (UK) »
Sounds like them but on Ernests Birth Cert parents are Laura nee Pitt and Alfred E, have found other children

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 April 07 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that I am confused by the Louisa, I have Laura Haneywell nee Pitt remarrying an Ashcroft, maybe they divorced and he re married to someone called Louisa/e

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 April 07 21:55 BST (UK) »
Also I think the address is Artillery Terrace as that is what is on birth cert for Ernest

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 April 07 22:05 BST (UK) »
The census definately reads Louisa but maybe the enumerator wrote it down wrongly? The address is probably Artillery Terrace as it was very light.

I couldn't find a Louisa Pitt on the earlier census returns so it probably is Laura mistranscribed as Lousia. Do you have Alfred and Laura's marriage cert? and also when do you have her remarrying?

Do you need the earlier census returns for Alfred's family or Laura's?

Jenny

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 April 07 22:07 BST (UK) »
Divorce was very expensive and very  uncommon amongst people like Laura and Alfred.  A private Act of Parliament was needed.   I see a death for an Alfred E Honeywell in Portsmouth in 1911 aged 41.  Laura apparently remarried in 1914 - kosher then!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk