Author Topic: Lothian family of Tranent  (Read 3669 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lothian family of Tranent
« on: Sunday 29 April 07 10:07 BST (UK) »
According to the 1851 census for Linlithgow Mark Lothian was aged 40 yrs and came from Tranent i.e. born about 1811.  He married Allison Mitchell in Linlithgow in 1836. 

I am seeking information about Mark's parents and would be grateful for any assistance with this.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lothian family of Tranent
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 07 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you traced him in the 1861? If he died after 1855 you will get his parents names off his death cert.

Susan
Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 07 15:04 BST (UK) »
I have found his birth or christening in SP, he was born in Tranent, East Lothian on 26 Sep 1813, but this will be OPR record and you may not get both parents. I have found him in 1861 transcribed ib error as Mark Louden m then back to Mark Lothian in 1871.

I hve found a Mark Lothian in 1881 he is also a gluework labourer, and born in Tranent staying in Linlithgow, but he is down as 75 b 1806 and spouse is Jane.

Alison b 05 Feb 1816 to James Mitchell and Elisabeth Sibbald in Linlithgow. As children in 1851 were James, Mark and Elisabeth, I think Mark may have been parents name also.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 07 17:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this information.

Alison Mitchell was deceased by the time that her son Alexander Lothian married on 23 Jan 1874.  I had previously thought that she was born in Kirkliston about 18 Apr 1815,  the daughter of James Mitchell & Agnes Mitchell (this family was in Linlithgow by 1819).  So I guess more work needs to be done to identify which Alison Mitchell really is mine.

Perhaps the Mark Lothian that you found in 1881 is our guy and that by that date he had remarried to a Jane ???.  Although the birth dates are not a perfect match it would be quite a coincidence if there were 2 separate Mark Lothians living in Linlithgow who were both born in Tranent.

Hopefully someone may have the answer.

:)

Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 07 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Coonwarra,

You could be correct with parents of Alison, the parents names and the children's names made me think of James and Elizabeth Sibballd. Need to do more digging, may get  confiramtion elsewhere.

Tom

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 07 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Coonwarra,

I think you are correct, there is a death certificate in SP of Alison Lothian nee Mitchell in 1871 at Linlithgow. If you get this would confirm parents.

There is a marriage of Mark Lothian to Jean ? in 1873 at Bo'ness, West Lothian.
Could be worth downloading both of these can give you positive answers, I think.

Tom