Author Topic: Samuel BALDWIN  (Read 7232 times)

Offline Alangeo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel BALDWIN
« on: Sunday 29 April 07 14:00 BST (UK) »
I am trying to pin down my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather Samuel Baldwin.

From Census records he seems to have been born in Rickmansworth about 1810 and his wife Lydia around 1815. I have a possible marriage for them in Harefield, Middx in 1834 where Lydia's maiden name is Waller.

All this is IGI data or Census indicated Data and as they both come from Mill End, Rickmansworth I am not sure if the Marriage I have found is correct.

Any help or advice anyone can provide would be very gratefully received.

Alan

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Baldwin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 07 14:14 BST (UK) »

Hi Alan,

Do you know which religious denomination your rellies were?

And do you have any Death Entries for them?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Alangeo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 07 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly

All the family I have solid information on is Protestant CofE and no I have a seriuos problem with death entries, so far most of my Baldwins are still walking aaround according to my records.

Thank you for your interest

Alan

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 07 14:33 BST (UK) »

Hi again,

I meant do you have death entries for the ones born in 1810 and 1815.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel BALDWIN
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Harefield is quite close to Rickmansworth so I wouldn't rule the marriage out just on geography.  It is perfectly feasible that they may have worked and married outside of their parish of settlement.

It might be worth checking Settlement Certificates for them at Harefield.  These would be held at the Hillingdon Archives.

http://www.photolondon.org.uk/assoc_pages/hillingdon.htm

I will check the Herts Settlement Certs for you tomorrow just in case they are mentioned there.

Rick :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alangeo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Rick,

Thank you for your comment. Romilly said it was quite close and she is going to get some info if she can when she is next over there.

Thank you also for the site addy I love local resource information sources. Do not think they will have settlement details in Harefield as the family was resident in Mill End Rickmansworth for some time afterwards. My Gt Grandfather was the first to move out, and my Mother remembers going to visit one of my fathers Uncles when he was a Lock Keeper on the Grand Union Canal. No clue on his name though but should be one of my grandfathers Brothers.

Once again Thank you for your help and interest

Alan

Offline Alangeo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi I have managed to get a lead to the Marriage entry.

Samuel and Lydia Married on the 20th of April 1834 according to a site Prophetess found but still no mention of fathers or ages  :'(

If I find them will post here.

Thank you all you lot are brilliant

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I have managed to get a lead to the Marriage entry.

Samuel and Lydia Married on the 20th of April 1834 according to a site Prophetess found but still no mention of fathers or ages  :'(

If I find them will post here.

Thank you all you lot are brilliant

Sadly until 1837 father's names and occupations were not given on marriage entries.  An marriage entry for 1834 will only give; names of both parties, whether they were of full age, their parish of settlement, their marital status,  and the names of 2 marriage witnesses.

If they moved from Rickmansworth to Harefield and back again there may be a settlement certificate record it this was applied for.  If they had both acquired jobs in Harefield before their marriage and had acquired parish rights by this means then this would not have been necessary.

I could find no sign of them in the Herts Settlement records.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

It looks like your ancestor's would have married at St Peter's C/E Church, Berry Lane, Rickmansworth, Herts, WD3; which is the Parish Church for Mill End, Rickmansworth, Herts.

I'm not sure if the Parish Records from there are available on-line or not, but you could check at:

http://www.parishregister.co.uk/

If you would like to see a panoramic view of Stocker's Lock, where one of your relatives was a Lock-keeper, - one is available at:

http://www.paulholman.com/vr1.htm

Romilly.
Researching: