Author Topic: Belfast bombing 1941  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Belfast bombing 1941
« on: Sunday 29 April 07 22:33 BST (UK) »
I believe that my husabnd's grandmother, Frances McConnell, was killed in bombing of Belfast in 1941.  I think that she may have lived in Orient Gardens.

Does anyone know of any database of casualties of this event?

Many thanks in anticipation of help from the wonderful Rootschatters.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast bombing 1941
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 07 22:54 BST (UK) »
Commonwealth War Graves Commission lists civilian casualties (www.cwgc.org).
Several McConnells come up but only Frances is a Mary Frances McConnell d. 13 Mar.1941 at 2 Napier St., Clydebank, Scotland, dau. of William & Mary. Sadly, her mother Mary Kate (age 39) and brother Hugh (20) were also killed.
Possibly the person you are looking for was injured in Belfast bombing but didn't die until a while later.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 07 23:15 BST (UK) »
I know that she lived in Belfast, but all we have to go on is a note in an address book of my f-i-law's, which says "mother bombing 1941 71 years".  It is alongside a note of his father's death - "hard arteries 1938 74 years" and his elder brother "duo ulcer age 43"

Even this is something of a breakthrough.  Thanks for looking aghadowey.

Best wishes
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 April 07 08:05 BST (UK) »
The Belfast Blitz consisted of raids on 7/8 April, 15/16 April, 4/5 May, 5/6 May in 1941 and between 900-1000 people were killed, many injured & left homeless. In such circumstances it is possible that the death would not be in the paper in a traditional obituary (many bodies never identified) but there might be casualty lists in the papers.
If you search Google for 'Belfast Blitz 1941' many sites come up including Wikipedia.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 07 09:00 BST (UK) »
 Thanks aghadowey - I shall keep searching

Ellen

Offline Blackadder

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 07 22:19 BST (UK) »
Brian Barton's book 'The Blitz - Belfast in the War Years' has images of the typewriten casulaty lists. Sorry no McConnells. He does say that no definitive list seems to exist.
Google for the above title if you remain interested. It has a very good account of the blitz with some excellent contemporary photographs.

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 April 07 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Blackadder

I shall certainly look at that.  Thank you .

Today I found a Belfast telephone directory entry for 1940 which lists my father in law and his brother.  There is a possible listing for Bob's grandmother living at Sandown Park.  There is still a lot of uncertaintly about the family's whereabouts.

Thanks again, best wishes
Ellen

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 07 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,

Have you sent for her death certificate? I am sure her death was registered since your father in law's address book have information on her death.

Another thing to consider about is the McConnell spelling variants.

You can request a transcribed record of her death for only 4 pounds at this website: www.familyulster.com or simply ask for a look up in the Death Indexes in the year 1941 for only one pound--be sure to include the age so they can narrow the searches.

Or simply order the death certificate from the NI GRO at this website: www.groni.gov.uk and pay eleven pounds for the certificate OR use the reference information from the Indexes will get you a certificate for only 5.50 pounds but you have to post the application in.

Hope this help you in finding out if she did die in the bombing or not. Perhaps the bombing caused her to have an heart attack--that probably accounts for not being on any casualty list? The death certificate will tell you if she died in the bombing or not.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 May 07 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees

Thank you so much for your advice.  We will certainly try and get the certificate.  We haven't had much luck with verious certs ordered from Ireland as we have been uncertain of the dates. 

We have real brick walls with Frances's family.

Thanks again
Best wishes
Ellen