Author Topic: Belfast bombing 1941  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast bombing 1941
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 May 07 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ellen,

I've made a note to look in the April and May 1941 editions of the Belfast Telegraph to see if the names of casualties or those who died during the Blitz are listed. I wasn't certain of the location of Orient Gardens so checked this in the directory ... it ran from 53 Cliftonville Road to Brookvale Street in the Clifton area of the city.

Chris   

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 May 07 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris

Since my post I have found out that in 1940 my f-i-l had a home in Kings Road and a possibility that his mother lived in Sandown Park in Belfast.  My m-i-l remembers posting letters to Orient Gardens but they may have moved about after her husband died in 1938.  We also found an entry in the same phone directory for by f-i-l's brother's widow in Cliftonpark Ave, so they were all in the same area.

I am waiting for a listing of her death from familyusler so we can get the cert.

Anything that you may find out will be most welcome.

Thanks very much,
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 May 07 11:47 BST (UK) »
You can also see a 20 min video for free on your computer about the Blitz and more at www.glenravel.com or buy the better quality DVD possibly.  [Something not mentioned normally was in places like Bristol, eg the Starfish Operation around Bristol was in place by sometime in 1940, consisting of 12 decoy sites that were lit up and set on fire as bombers approached eg however the only one listed that I can find was in Stockwood.ie Stockwood ward the SW corner of Bristol City.  Here I think in Dec 1940 50 big bombs were dropped and exploded fairly harmlessly one night.  Slightly further south is Black Down a different type of Decoy site and now open to the Public. It would be interesting toknow if any such happenings were considered for Belfast. Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide