Author Topic: 1870s Peebles Railway Station  (Read 4636 times)

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1870s Peebles Railway Station
« on: Monday 30 April 07 09:02 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage cert for a wedding in Peebles Episcopal Church. The couple are residing at what looks like 113 Railway Station House/Hotel......

Can anyone enlighten me please.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
Re: 1870s Peebles Railway Station
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have already wrote this message but then lost it so please don't mind if I have accidently sent it twice.
In a book called "History of Peebles 1850 - 1990), this hotel is refered to in a list of the seven inns in peebles in 1867
"the Railway Hotel (with Walter Brydon) in the Old Town"
Not sure if this means he ran it.
Another quote "The present police station completed the West Port in 1887, and in the same year, the Caledonian Railway Hotel opened (now Whities')"
My mum is from Peebles and she does not know of a railway hotel so it must not be there anymore!
If you put "old photos of peebles" into google you should find a good site of old photos.
caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1870s Peebles Railway Station
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 21:09 BST (UK) »
This is just the sort of local knowledge that is so helpful.

Thankyou very much.

Since your post I have looked up an old map of Peebles and the church is virtually next to Station Road, so that looks good, along with the knowledge you have given me.

I reckon they stayed at the hotel for the three weeks of the Banns and then wed. I wonder why they didnt do it by Licence. ?

Thankyou for your help.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall