Author Topic: Royal Military School of Music - Kneller Hall  (Read 23618 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Royal Military School of Music - Kneller Hall
« on: Monday 30 April 07 12:34 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I am looking for information regarding Kneller Hall.

I have been told that my grandfather studied music at Kneller Hall, but my aunt is insistent this was in Liverpool.  I have searched on the website of Kneller Hall and cannot find any reference to a college in Liverpool, only in Twickenham.

My grandfather had lost both his parents by the time he was 15 in 1901 and the family story is that he went into the army, (maybe after first being put into an orphanage),  where he was taught to be a musician, never having had any training before.  Is that possible?  The website today suggests that entrants will be free to decide after serving only four years to stay in or to take the training and experience into a civilian career

By 1908 he had married my gran, in Newport, Monmouthshire.  In 1926 when he was killed in a motorcycle accident, he was employed by the BBC in Scotland, apparently as a musical director.  He did play the oboe (hardly an instrument he would have learned as a child in the back streets of Hull).  I have photos of him in two different groups of musicians, one where he holding the oboe and the other where he appears to be the conductor.

Any help or info anyone has will be really helpful.

Liz

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Military School of Music - Kneller Hall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 07 12:46 BST (UK) »
The Royal Military School at Kneller Hall is still there in Whitton.   I don't think that they have any "outposts" as such in Liverpool.  They train musicians from foreign armies as well as all army regiments here.  I don't know if they have archives, but a letter to the Director might be a place to start.  I believe they still perform concerts in the grounds in the summer, to which the public get free entrance.  Fantastic to hear the 1812 overture with all the requisite bangs!

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 April 07 13:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell.  I was going to write to the address on the website, so that if they have archives, they may be able to tell me the address my grandfather gave when he enrolled, but I just thought someone on here might have some info about Kneller Hall.  I am intrigued that an orphan with no music training at all could end up at Kneller Hall, or any music college come to that, and be so well trained in only about 4-5 years, that he could become a Musical Director with the BBC.  That part must be true, to some extent, because the BBC arranged his funeral.

Liz

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 April 07 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,
They do have archives and are very helpful. Gave me details of my Great Uncle's training.
They do ask for a fee, but well worth it.
Cheers,
bob.
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 07 13:48 BST (UK) »
Bob

That's great news.   :)

Thanks, I'll 'phone the number given on their site to ask how much the fee will be.

Liz

Modification - Just 'phoned and spoke to an answermachine!  So'll I write to them as I doubt they will call be back.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 07 13:59 BST (UK) »
Bob

Did you already know the regiment your G.Uncle served in?  Looking at the archives website, it looks as if that is required info.

Liz

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 April 07 14:12 BST (UK) »
Surprise, surprise.  They did ring back and the fee is £25.

Liz

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 April 07 14:28 BST (UK) »
Bob

Did you already know the regiment your G.Uncle served in?  Looking at the archives website, it looks as if that is required info.

Liz

Yes, but don't think it's essential though.
Glad to see you've contacted them. Good Luck.
Bob.
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 April 07 21:05 BST (UK) »
The RMSM or "KH" as it is known was founded by the Duke Of Cambridge after an event attended by Queen Victoria had all the bands play the National Anthem...in different keys, different arrangements, and tempi!!

What normally happend for a "bandboy" was that the initial recruiting Regt would bring him up to a certain standard and then he would be packed off to KH to "hone" his trade. There was a one year "pupils" course and a two year "student" course.The student course was for student bandmasters, and they were selected after a pupils course and had shown particular aptitude.

They would then be posted to a Regt Band that required a Bandmaster and be promoted to the rank of WO1 (Warrant Officer Class 1 -Senior NCO-RSM level). Further study including a PSM after their name (Passed School of Music) along with ARCM LRAM exams might in time have them promoted to a Directorship. A Director of Music is a commissioned level, initially Captain, but some staff bands (ie Corps rather than line infantry bands) may have a major as the "DOM". If really good may get to Lt Col in one of the Guards bands or the such like.

After attending the Students course it was rare for a chap to be returned to his Regt of origin, they went where they were required.

In todays army, KH is the initial training centre for musicians after they have gone through "phase 1  recruits". Whereas a normal squaddy would attend "phase 2" a musician would go to KH.

It is a marvelous building, formally owned by Sir Godfrey Kneller, the renowned court painter.

I know...I was that that musician ....the first time I joined up! ;D
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.