Author Topic: Death at Stirling District Asylum 1887  (Read 22394 times)

Offline clairelivingstone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death at Stirling District Asylum 1887
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 July 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
Fleming is her married name husband John Fleming, parents are james McLachlan and Rebecca McLachlan nee Miller   

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 July 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire
Rebecca McLauchlan was born in 1887 not 1885.
However the details are VERY sensitive so I will Personal Message you.
Aye with respect,
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline clairelivingstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 July 10 15:34 BST (UK) »
thanks its very much appreciated

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 August 10 22:19 BST (UK) »
People came from all over Scotland to stay in the Bellsdyke and Larbert hospitals ,one gentlemem came all the way from Shetlands as a boy. I took his ashes home to Shetland when he died three years ago.

Offline historylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 November 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose you have ever come across anything referring to a lady Mary Mcisaac, alias Walker, daughter of William Mcisaac, Tailor of Gargunnock. He admitted his daughter, a servant,  to Larbert asylum in the 1860's , reason given "immorality and insobriety". She was also in Woodylee asylum,Lenzie  and  had come from the poorhouse. I have her case records and transfer details. Mary died at Stirling asylum in the 1880's. I wondered if you had ever come across her name in the records before? I would be grateful for any information. Thank you.

Offline historylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 May 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any info on a woman called Mary McIsaac, alias Walker, originally from Gargunnock, Stirlingshire. Died in Larbert Asylum 1889. Trying to contact Cruden Bay Boy in case he has seen any ref to her in the records he has. Fingers crossed as I have hit a brick wall. Already have some records but the ones mentioned sound great!

Also  school logbooks. Anyone have any idea which school might be closest to vicinity of Park Road/ Bucchleuch St and Cambridge Street, Glasgow in 1890/1900's please? Schoolmasters name was James McIsaac.

Does anyone know if police records for Station nearest to Stockwell St, Glasgow survive?
Any help appreciated, Thanks

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 May 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi 'History lady'  ... you probably have most of this ... I will personal message you with my e-mail so you can receive the 1866 birth image of John (Robertson) McIsaac

1881 Census Place:   Stirling Dist Asylum For The Insane, Larbert, Stirling, Scotland
Mary MC ISAAC   Patient  Domestic Servant  Unmarried aged 34 Lunatic No Birth Place Given   

1851 Scotland Census for Gargunnock Village
William McIsaac Head aged 35 Tailor born Gargunnock, Stirling
Address: Gargunnock Village
Mary McIsaac 36 wife born Rothesay, Bute
Cathrine McIsaac 12 daughter born Gargunnock
James McIsaac 8 son born Gargunnock
William McIsaac 6 son born Gargunnock
Mary McIsaac 4 daughter born Gargunnock
Jane McIsaac 2 daughter born Gargunnock

1861 Scotland Census
William McIsaac Head aged 43 Tailor born Gargunnock, Stirling
Address: Dumbarton Old Road, Gargunnock
Mary McIsaac 43 wife born Rothesay, Bute
James McIsaac 18 son Grocerman Pupil Teacher son born Gargunnock
William McIsaac 15 son Scholar son born Gargunnock
Jane McIsaac 11 daughter Scholar son born Gargunnock

1871 Scotland Census for Gargunnock Village
William McIsaac Head aged 54 Tailor born Gargunnock, Stirling
Address: Dumbarton Old Road, Gargunnock
Mary McIsaac 54 wife born Rothesay, Bute
John Robertson 4 Grandson born Gargunnock ****** hint

John Robertson was born as John McIsaac on 2nd October, 1866 in Gargunnock Village
illegitimate son of Catherine McIsaac (Farm Servant) daughter of Wm and Mary McIsaac
(Probable father John Robertson)

1881 Census Place: Gargunnock Village, Stirling, Scotland
William MC ISAAC   Head .... Master Tailor aged 60 born Gargunnock, Stirling, Scotland
Mary MC ISAAC   Wife aged 60  born Rothesay, Bute, Scotland

Possible mother of Mary McIsaac, wife of Wm McIssac
MARY WALKER ....
Christening:  20 AUG 1820   Rothesay, Bute, Scotland
Father:  HUGH WALKER 
Mother:  CATHERINE MCDONALD     
OPR.
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 July 11 01:09 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is anything on my great great grandmother who died in Larbert aged 57 in 1903.Janet Brown (or Wardlaw it says on the deaths register entry).Married to Peter Wardlaw and usual residence Bathgate.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline historylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 July 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi DDJJake, Thank you for taking the trouble to send that. Yes, I  do have it.  I have John Robertson's birth cert thank you.  His parents did marry and had another son Peter but he may have died before the age of five. The father, james Robertson also died in his early 20's from acute meningitis. They lived in the slum area of Glasgow, Crown Street, and he died at Glasgow Infirmary. His child john Robertson became the local Postman  back in Stirling.

Re: Mary McIsaac snr. wife of William McIsaac, Master tailor. I have all the B/M/D's for the family and she was the daughter of James buchanan, a master shoemaker and Catherine McLean who's father was Angus McLean of Bute. I actually have many records from the poor law register for the family prior to this generation.  After 30 years of doing this , I lose track on how many documents I have accumulated!

The only enigma seems to have been Mary McIsaac jnr, the one who ended up in the asylum. I have many records about her, but when I saw the post by "Cruden Bay Boy", I thought I might be able to find some additional info, but I have had no luck in contacting him. I thought the records might shed some light on her life. I do have many detailed records from the asylum and poorhouse, and of course the census and BMD's but early census do not indicate she was insane or had any affliction, so I just wanted to find out more. Her father took her to the asylum when she was only 23. He stated that none of the family were ever insane and that she had had three previous bouts from which she had recovered.  He said he thought the cause was "Intemperance and Immorality"! which doesn't sound very good. I wondered if she may have ahd a child. but have found no evidence of that. After she left her family in Gargunnock, and before entering the asylum, I found a Mary McIsaac in the employment of a Surgeon in Perth, which may have been her as some asylum records say that she said she was a Domestic Servant.  She was once arrested in Glasgow "acting insanely" and I think she may have been trying to find her siblings. Both her brothers attended Glasgow Free Church seminary and her sisters Catherine Robertson and Jane Walker both lived there. It would have been quite a way to get there from Gargunnock in her mental condition. Some census details mention that her sister Jane's husband William Walker was blind.  I can't think why Mary would use the alias of Walker when that was actually her sisters married name.  Maybe it was just the first thing that popped into her head.  Unless I can locate the Cruden Bay Boy guy who said he had some records, I think I may have found out all I a going to.  I should think myself lucky I have all her medical records etc from the Asylums, but we always want more don't we?!  Thank you very much for sending the info  .
Kind Regards
Sheila