Author Topic: 1851 / 1861 Census Gibson  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Kaysy

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 / 1861 Census Gibson
« on: Monday 30 April 07 22:30 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate it if some kind person could look up an Elizabeth Gibson who would be aged 10 in 1851, parents Ephram and Elizabeth Gibson. According to the 1881 census Elizabeth (Junior) was born Wisbech, Cambs.
Thanks in advance.
KAYSY   
Buckinghamshire. Gt Marlow. Harris, Rockall/ell, Rackstraw, Frith, Howard, Martin. Bedfordshire. Clophill, Flitton with Silsoe. White, Parslow, Denton, Woodcraft, Waple. Hampshire. Huish. Surrey Kingston on Thames, Parslow. Cambridgeshire. Over, Willingham. Ginn, Hayden.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 / 1861 Census Gibson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 02:37 BST (UK) »
hmmm, I'm not finding anything in those 2 census...

According to the IGI (unsourced? Batch)  Elizabeth GIBSON da of Ephrain GIBSON and Elizabeth was born 23 May 1837, and christened  13 Aug 1848 at Wisbeach-St Peter, Wisbech. 

FREEBMD has
A bIRTH:
Elizabeth GIBSON Sep Qtr 1841 Wisbeach

A death:
Sep Qtr 1842 Wisbech
Ephraim GIBSON

It may help to follow Elizabeth in the other Census? Have you got her in 1871, 1891, 1901 and who/where was she in 1881?  If she is married, have you got her marriage cert?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

HO107/1766
Horse Fair, Wisbeach St Peter, Cambridge

Elizabeth Gibson 44 HD Wid Charwoman Leverington Cambs
Samuel 16 Turner Wisbech
Thomas 15 Ag Lab Wisbech
William 13 Ag Lab Wisbech
James 11 Ag Lab Wisbech
Elizabeth 9 Wisbech
Sarah A Wisbech
Henry 41 Lod Butcher Wisbech

RG9/1048/135/30
Wisbech St Peter
Old Horsefair

Elizabeth Gibson 54 Wid Butcher Leverington
Sarah Ann 11 Wisbech
John 9 Wisbech
George 8 Wisbech
Henry 51 Lod Journeyman Butcher Wisbech

Elizabeth Jnr not present

From free BMD Death Index
Ephraim Gibson 1842 Sept Qtr Vol 14 Page 115 Wisbech

Frances
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline Kaysy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thank you so much Ambly and Frances for your quick replies, I have printed them out.  I have Elizabeth Gibson (Junior) married to Jonathan Groom in the 1881 census aged 40, in the 1901 census she is still married to Jonathan Groom aged 60 which in both circumstances means she was born c.1841.
Thank you Francis for the 1851 census when Elizabeth is aged 9, which is near enough to 1841, as she is not on the 1861 census I wonder if she was in service being then aged 19/20.
I had found on the IGI, as Ambly had pointed out, Elizabeth (Junior) being born 23rd May 1837 and baptised when she was aged 11 on 13th August 18848
This is why I wanted to see if Elizabeth (Junior) was on the 1851 and 1861 census, perhaps the 1871 and 1891 census's would bring something to light.
Very interesting the details you sent Frances on the 1851 and 1861 census's, I live in Wisbech, and we have friends in Leverington. and Horsefair is the Bus Station now.
Thank you both once again for your replies.
Kind Regards, KAYSY.
Buckinghamshire. Gt Marlow. Harris, Rockall/ell, Rackstraw, Frith, Howard, Martin. Bedfordshire. Clophill, Flitton with Silsoe. White, Parslow, Denton, Woodcraft, Waple. Hampshire. Huish. Surrey Kingston on Thames, Parslow. Cambridgeshire. Over, Willingham. Ginn, Hayden.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 13:55 BST (UK) »
I found a FreeBMD marriage in March 1862 at Wisbech RD vol 3b page 859 on which are

Elizabeth Gibson
Thomas Friend
Henry William Gibson
Sarah Ann Hunns

So I'm trying to pair these up on 1871,  but no luck, I did assume that Thomas Friend might marry Elizabeth Gibson. 

On 1861 in Wisbech, Thomas Friend age 23 was lodging next door to family containing Sarah A Hunns,  so a likely pairing ?   RG9/1049  Folio: 73 Page: 15 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Kaysy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi JohnP, Thank you for your interest in my query regarding Elizabeth Gibson. I know that a Elizabeth Gibson did marry Jonathan Groom, as far as I know at Bethnal Green 3rd qt 1861.
I will contact the lady who's ancestor Jonathan and Elizabeth were to see if she can give me any further details.
Thank you once again.
Kind Regards,
KAYSY.

Offline Kaysy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Francis, I have just checked the marriage I found for Jonathan Groom who married Elizabeth Gibson, no wonder she isn't in the 1861 census as Elizabeth Gibson, I believe she married Jonathan 3rd qt 1861, Bethnal Green. I will get in touch with the lady who's ancestors were Jonathan and Elizabeth Groom, for who I am researching these two people, see if she can give me any further clues to make sure I am on the right track.
Hi Ambly, I noticed on your message, you mention on Free BMD an Elizabeth Gibson, a birth 3rd qt 1841 Wisbeach, I went into Free BMD and noticed it also, this seems more like the Elizabeth Gibson who was aged 40 in the 1881 census and 60 in the 1901 census. Will contact the person who I am doing this for and ask her if she would like me to send for the birth certificate of this Elizabeth Gibson, also the marriage certificate for Jonathan Groom and Elizabeth.
Thanking you both.
Kind Regards,
KAYSY