Author Topic: Silverdale Hall,Birkenhead  (Read 8598 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Silverdale Hall,Birkenhead
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 May 07 09:41 BST (UK) »
Arrow Road? Can't find that.
Could that possibly be The Now "Arrow Park Road"

Celia

I don't think so, Celia. I thought of that, but it's miles away. Perhaps they renamed the (shorter) Arrow Road to Arno Road to avoid confusion? I know of cases elsewhere where this sort of renaming has happened.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 May 07 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
I cant send you a direct link to a specific directory and haven't got time today to find the view number,but this is the link to them
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/findbylocation.asp

Go to Kelly's Directory 1894 Part 2. Fact File .Birkenhead,Street directory. ( or just go straight to search) Click on search Directory then type in Silverdale ,search.You get 27 hits 26 actually.The hits come in with silverdale in red .Searching the directory does take you to all through it ,so just keep clicking till you come to streets.
I am going to the library later today.To Have a look at the proper directories.It's quicker and more choice, gotta go now.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 May 07 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
I've attached the image for 1894 Woodchurch Rd Directory. I've also attached part of an 1899 map that shows the properties. Silverdale seems to be the unmamed one between Heathley & Grangefield.
I've also found the property on the 1891 & 1901 census. There was a family surname Angus plus servants in 1891 but it was unoccupied in 1901.
Andy

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 May 07 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million Andy, Celia and Les.

I'd just found the page from the link Celia sent me, but - then you beat me to it Andy by posting it here. It's all clear now. Silverdale must be the middle house. It's so well set back that if any trace of the buildings exist, they'll be on or near Fairview Road.

Comparing the old and new maps, I'd say "The Grove" was the fourth big house on the road, perhaps divided, and now replaced by the close of the same name leading off Fairview, that Heathley has been replaced by the school, that Grangefield has been replaced by the houses at the end of the block, fronting Woodchurch, Storeton and Fairview Roads, so that leaves Silverdale as having been replaced by Downing Close. It must have been profitable to pull down these four big houses and replace them by dozens of smaller ones!

George Henry was still in Yorkshire in 1891 and in Connah's Quay in 1901, so this was not a long stay. 

All best, Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 May 07 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris.
Have you looked at the area on Google Earth? You get a pretty good image.
Andy

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 May 07 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris.
Have you looked at the area on Google Earth? You get a pretty good image.
Andy

Hi Andy, I used to have Google Earth but I got rid of it once he novelty wore off, as it needed so much memory. I might try it again.

It makes sense though that the four houses gave rise to four separate developments because they were probably bought and demolished at different dates. Chris

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 May 07 13:32 BST (UK) »
Chris
I didnt think it would be allowed to put a page from the derectory on the net,so i didnt.As i havent seen it done before :)
Have you got A James Skelsey on your tree?

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 May 07 14:14 BST (UK) »
Chris
I didnt think it would be allowed to put a page from the derectory on the net,so i didnt.As i havent seen it done before :)
Have you got A James Skelsey on your tree?

Celia

Hi Celia - I think it depends on whether it's copyright (census pages seem to be a no-no) and whether the page owner either minds, or finds out.

I've 9 James Skelceys or Skelseys on my tree - any particular one? Chris

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 May 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
Chris
Seeing as Andy has given you  some of the info i went to the library to find,but went one better with the map ;D ;D ;)
Found these there isnt any Skelsey in any of the directories only the ones given.

working back  
Gores 1889

Skelsie James Bricklayer, 66 Handle Street E
1887  Skelsie James Bricklayer 21 Vivian Street E
no more before that
1890 Skelsie  Bricklayer 2 Rolfe Street E
1892 as above 1893 as above with correct spelling
Skelsey. George  H. Gentleman "Silverdale" Woodchurch Road Oxton. Office. 18 cook street  W =

(Cook Street/Castle Street  W. 18.

Celia   P.S there is a big gap in years after 1900's but i think we have covered the ones up to his death.
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials