Author Topic: Age of Consent, when did they marry ??  (Read 21760 times)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Consent, when did they marry ??
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 December 04 00:29 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors was born in 1825 and married his first wife Ann also born 1825 in 1841 making them both 16 years old at the time. They had 4 children before Ann died in 1851 aged 26.  He married Mary 6 months later and migrated to Oz a few years later along with 2 of his four children from the first marriage. After further children with Mary he died in 1861 aged 36. Mary remarried again within 6 months and had more children including twins with her Swedish husband.  I'm sure David and Ann would have had to get their parents permission but I haven't found any record of it yet.

Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 December 04 18:01 GMT (UK) »
As as already been stated until the marriage act of 1929 with the parents permission a girl of 12 and a boy of 14 could legally marry.  In 1929 ( In england & Wales) this was raised to 16 with the parents permission and 21 without.  This was reduced to 18 in the 70's I believe.  In scotland you can marry without parents permission from 16yrs old which is why many young elopers disappear to Gretna to wed
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 09:09 BST (UK) »
Here is the full article from http://groups.msn.com/britishgenealogy/yourwebpage1.msnw

This is very much like what I posted to a Rootsweb list in February 2003
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/eng-durham/2003-02/1044982072
It is from 'Marriage Laws, Rites, Records & Customs' by Colin R Chapman,

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 21:25 GMT (UK) »
This thread concentrates on legal marriageable age in England & Wales though there have been a couple of brief references to Scotland.

Scots Law is not always the same as that of England & Wales - and this is definitely a case where Scots Law was, and is, different especially with respect to the matter of parental consent.

The General Register Office of Scotland, on its site at:
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/regscot/getting-married-in-scotland/
has the following quote (emphases added):

"What was and is the minimum age for marriage in Scotland?
Before 1929, Scots law followed Roman law in allowing a girl to marry at twelve years of age and a boy at fourteen, without any requirement for parental consent. However, according to one early 20th-century source*, marriage in Scotland at such young ages was in practice almost unknown. No doubt if marriages between children had become common, there would have been public pressure to raise the legal minimum age of marriage earlier than 1929. The Age of Marriage Act 1929 (applying in Scotland, England & Wales but not in Northern Ireland) made void any marriage between persons either of whom was under the age of sixteen. Sixteen remains the lower age-limit today, contained in the current legislation, the Marriage (Scotland) Act 1977. Scots law still has no requirement for parental consent."

JAP

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 September 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
An ancestor of mine m in Jan 1861 to a man aged 22. The ceremony took place in a church in Southampton. I assume the parents were present. Both fathers were named. Her age was given as 16. However according to her birth b Oct 1845, she was only 15

If it was legal to marry at 16 why would she want to lie about her age? I think I know why the m took place suddenly, baby Walter was on the way b Mar qtr 1861!

SFT456