Author Topic: Seamus O'Connor  (Read 9455 times)

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seamus O'Connor
« on: Friday 04 May 07 19:41 BST (UK) »
Can anyone give me information about my grandmoter's cousin (I think), named Seamus O'Connor?  In her journal (1948) she mentions that he was the Sheriff of Dublin and on the 25July1948 he went to a garden party with De Valera.  I think he is related on my grandmother's maternal side as one of her mother's sisters married an O'Connor.  Thank you. :)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Seamus O'Connor
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi mattiemae,

Seamus O'Connor was a Dublin solicitor who was also involved in the Irish Republican movement (one of those who met at Wynns Hotel, Dublin on 11 November 1913 to found the Irish Volunteers). He was later appointed the Sheriff of the City of Dublin.

He was a first cousin of Arthur (Art) O'Connor (1888 – 10 May 1950), politician, lawyer and judge. Arthur was the second son of Arthur O'Connor of Elm Hall, Celbridge, Co. Kildare and his second wife Elizabeth (neé Saul).

I'll send you the email address of Linde Lunney, of the Dictionary of Irish Biography, as she may have some information about Seamus. It will probably be the dates that he was appointed to various positions rather than details about family.

Source: Wikipedia. The Free Encyclopedia.

Chris

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 07 06:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for information, Chris.  My grandmother's first cousin was Sally O'Connor.  She never married and was a joy to be with.  I believe she was Seamus' sister. She passed away in 1964.  My grandmother visited Seamus for part of her visit in 1947/1948.  Many things happened while she was there, a coal strike/shortage, bus (or train) strike, post-war rationing, telephone strike, burst water pipe in the house and lots more.  All these inconveniences brought out the many ways humor made life's difficulties bearable (and sometimes enjoyable).  Her letters have been saved and will be put together in another book I am preparing for the family. Thank you again for all your help.  Any links you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  MattieMae

Offline dabirchall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 09 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mattiemae

I was interested to see your posting of a few years back.

Are you descended from the O'Reillys?

Sarah O'Reilly from Shangan Hill in the St Margaret's area of North Co Dublin married Thomas O'Connor and they lived together at Newtown Hyland, a house in St Margaret's until some stage before April 1911. The family bar the eldest son Seamus (who  became the City Sheriff of Dublin) moved to Australia and then subsequently to San Francisco.  Seamus did have a sister called Sal but she died in San Francisco the 1980s or 1990s ( rather than the 60s)  so I'm wondering if there is some confusion here (or perhaps I read your email too quickly)

Seamus O'Connor's son Colm died a few years ago in Dublin.

Thomas O'Connor's sister was my great grandmother - hence the link

I'll be interested to read how you fit in

David

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 07:58 GMT (UK) »
David,
I have a picture of Sally O'Connor at my wedding in 1964.  So I definitely made an error on her date of death.  Also, I remember being told that my grandfather, Philip Joseph O'Reilly was from a large family (13?).  I don't know if that is true or just a faulty memory from childhood.  Most of the family immigrating from Ireland is buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Colma, California.  Only one of the gravesites is marked, however, but locations are on record. I have names of many other relatives we were told were our grandmother's first cousins but don't know how they fit in the family tree.
Some were Beck and Dave Mc Auliffe, Bridget O'Donnell, Dave and Anne Mc Gill and more.
Mattie Mae

Offline dabirchall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Mattie Mae

In Holy Cross Cemetery Colma you will also find the gravestone of Sarah O'Connor (nee  O Reilly)  d approx 1924 and her husband Thomas (d aprox 1936). I found it when I visited San Francisco

Sarah and Tom had the following children

(1) a son who died young
(2) May who died approx aged 18 while they were still in Ireland, she is buried in Prospect cemetery Glasnevin Dublin
(3) Brigid who married Mr O Donnell
(4) Paddy who stayed in Australia but moved in old age to join his sisters in San Francisco which is where he died
(5) Lil who died of TB in the 1940s
(6) Beck who married  Dave Mc Auliffe and had four daughters
(7) Sal who you knew
(8) Seamus who married Maire Moran and had approx. 6 children
(9) Ann who married Dan MC Gill who you knew
(10) Gertrude who was a nun and who lived till she was 100 and died in Ohio I believe, not so long ago

I can help you start off your family tree by telling you that the mother of Sarah O' Reilly who married Tom O'Connor was Mary Anne O' Neill.

David

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:29 GMT (UK) »
David,  I would appreciate any help connecting the dots on our family tree.  First, we were told that our grandfather, Philip received an award for his public service (OBE?), was a cycling champion (we have a picture of him with his hand resting on a large crest shaped award with many names engraved on it) and were also told that his family had differing political views.  Nora Kettle and my mother corresponded for many years (childhood through adulthood).  We sent packages regularily to Ireland after the World War II and received a piece of sod with shamrocks to remember Ireland yearly.  It was always growing on our kitchen window ledge.  Nora's married name was Donahue and she lived in Tallaught with her husband and family.  I was unable to find anyone by that name when we were in Ireland.  Bridget O'Donnell lived in Los Altos, CA with her son and daughter (both unmarried).  Her daughter raised and sold birds of all varieties and was quite an expert on the subject.  Two of Beck Mc Auliffe's daughters were Maire McAuliffe, a neuro-surgeon in San Francisco and Eileen, married mother of seven.  Her first daughter died a "crib death" SIDS at the house in Guernewood Park.  About two years later Eileen had her last daughter and the entire family moved to Chicago.  We saw them all the time when they lived near my aunt and uncle but lost touch when they moved.  My grandmother and mother kept in touch with Gertrude all their lives. Thank you so much for contacting me.  Mattie Mae

Offline dabirchall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Mattie Mae   (is that  really your name?)

If you send me your email address in a private message I will scan the pageIi have on the  O'Reillys ( given to me by Marie O Reilly) and email it to you.

The Kettles would have been connected to Tom Kettle the Irish MP who fought for the British Army in the first  World War  and wrote the poem entitled "to my daughter Betty gift from God" which is very well known. In fact I think his parents may have moved into Newtown after the O Connors vacated it

I was in touch with Maire McAuliffe before she died and met her sister Terry Eldredge in Dublin

David

Offline SHumanVogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Dear David,

My husband is the grandson of Seamus O'Connor. We have a son who bears the second name of Colm O'Connor (my husband's uncle) who died in Dublin a number of years ago. We live in South Africa. My husband's mother was Fionnguala Vogel - nee O'Connor and she died on December 19, 2004. My husband has two sisters.

We have a few old photographs, two of Seamus O'Connor, as well as some others and we are not sure who they are. Where do you fit in the family tree?

Kind regards,
Salome Human-Vogel.

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living people in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.