Author Topic: Seamus O'Connor  (Read 9454 times)

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seamus O'Connor
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 January 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Aileen,
Seamus O'Connor was the eldest of ten children born to Thomas and Sara (nee Reilly).  He was born in 1882, Newton House, St. Margaret's Nth, Co. Dublin and died in 1960, Howth Road, Dublin 3.
When my grandmother and her cousins stayed with him on 7 Hollybrook Road, Dublin, in 1947 Seamus was the Sheriff of Dublin.  My grandmother's letter dated July 25, 1947 said he was attending a garden party with De Valera.  Other letters shared the day to day life in Dublin at the time (post-war), strikes and much more.  Our cousin, Marie, traced the family back to 1771 and presented the book to family member attending a reunion in 2000.  I did not know about the reunion or I would have been there.  Marie shared a copy of the book with me.  I've added more information and made corrections to the information (as was intended by Marie).  Do you want the names of Seamus' sisters and brothers?  I don't have information on His father's family but David probably does (dabirchall).  I have the history of the O'Reilly family.  Hope some of this helps.
Mattie Mae

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 January 10 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Aileen,
Following up on a statement made by David I checked on Ann McGill.  Anne Marie Alden (nee McGill) was born on 2 Mar 1931 and passed away on 15 May 2008 - according to the Social Security Death Records.  Her mother was Anne Genevieve McGill (nee O'Connor).  Her birth and date of death were on an earlier post.  Sorry for the confusion.  MattieMae

Offline Aileen Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 January 10 20:48 GMT (UK) »
MattieMae,  thank you so much for updating me on Anne Alden. It comes back to me now that that was her name married name.  It is sad news for me.  I never expected it.

Thank you also for writing about Seamus.  I heard about the 2000 gathering about a week before it was to take place, so I had no chance to be there.

Could you let me have your e-mail address? 

Aileen

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 February 10 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Aileen,
I am in touch with Dan McGill.  His eldest daughter lives about 30 miles from our youngest daughter in Oregon.  Both his other children are alive and well.  He has been sharing information about my grandfather (amusing stories from his childhood) with me.  I am also in touch with another cousin, Terry (who traveled to Ireland with Dan for the family reunion in 2000.)  Looking forward to hearing from you.  Your cousin,  MattieMae

Offline SimonOC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 September 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi mattiemae,

My name is Simon O'Connor, my father was Colm O'Connor.Seamus O'Connor's son.I have just been made aware of this site and i'm fascinated by all the family history and would love to make contact with you.

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 September 11 06:37 BST (UK) »
SimonOC,
Thank you for responding to my initial inquiry.  The records I have for your family show you have two sisters.  As far as information gathered from family letters and memories - there are many sources.  Our cousin, Marie, in Dublin compiled a history of the family and shared it in 2000.  I did not hear about it until well after the family reunion (where the book was shared) however, Marie sent me a copy.  What questions do you have?  Maybe we will be able to provide some answers - by compiling all the information at hand. You may be able to provide additional information also.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  MattieMae

Offline Bigmamashouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 September 11 02:31 BST (UK) »
Hello I don't know if there is any connection but I have found a:

Rebecca O'Connor whom Married a Thomas Byrne of 9 Pitt street, Dublin in 1864 at St Andrew's Church/parish/congregation.

Rebecca is listed as living at 28 Clarendon Street, Dublin and her father was Joseph O'Connor and mother may have been or sister: Esther O'Connor.

Any connection?

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 September 11 07:25 BST (UK) »
Bigmamashouse,
I replied to your other post (Byrne), letting you know that none of my records show Joseph O'Connor, Rebecca O'Connor or Thomas Bryne. There isn't anything connecting Seamus O'Connor's father with Joseph O'Connor that I could find - sorry.  MattieMae

Offline Maoltuile

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 December 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm not related to Seamus O'Connor, but I am trying to find someone (a Timothy Sheehan) who allegedly left Ireland on the same boat as him in the wake of the Easter Rising in 1916. I know from files (a signed affidavit) in the Military Archives here that Seamus was in California in late 1916, but any family information on what else he did in the US before returning to Ireland would be most welcome. Best regards, David