Author Topic: Seamus O'Connor  (Read 9452 times)

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seamus O'Connor
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Salome,
If the information you have matches the history shared by many family members, we are cousins.  We were told that Fionnuala was born in Ireland in 1915 and died in Johannsberg, South Africa in 1995.  If that is incorrect we would like to update our records.  We show that she had two children but never had a record of any marriage.  I have the names of two children connected to her name. Seamus O'Connor was born in 1882 and died in 1960.  His son, Colm was born in 1920 and died in 2002. Colm was the eldest of six children born to Seamus and Maire.  We are looking forward to your response.  Thank you for your reply.  Mattie Mae

Offline SHumanVogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mattie Mae,

I just looked at the birth and death certificate for Fionnghuala. She was born 15 July 1915 in 10 Royce Rd, Dublin to Maire Ui Chonchubhair nee Modhrain and Seamus O'Conchubhair. Her death certificate records her death as 18 December 1995 (I got the date wrong in my previous email) but it was actually in Cullinan, Pretoria where she was living at the time with her eldest daughter. She died from a heart attack. She was married to Vernon Augustus Vogel (d. 1993) and they had three children. Two daughters and a son (my husband). It was actually her sister Eibhlin who died in Johannesburg in 2003. We would very much like to know where in the family branch your family fits in?

Kind regards,
Salome

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Salome,
My grandfather and Seamus' mother were brother and sister.  I would be Fionnghuala's second cousin.  Seamus' mother was Sara Reilly (1861-1924).  I grew up sharing much of my early life with the O'Connor's (Seamus' sisters) who lived in the San Francisco area of California, USA.  I have many pictures of them (including one taken at my wedding with Anne, Sally and Bridget) sitting side by side.  They are all buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Colma, California.  My records of Seamus' family shows six children:  Sorca Marie (1912-1974), Fiacra (1913-1933), Fionnuala (1915-1995), Colm (1920-2002) Caoimhe (1922 -1926), Eibhin (1924-2003).  I have the names of two of Fionnghuala's three children.  Are they all still living? I am interested in any information you have that you would like to share and would be happy to share what I have or do research for you. David, who you directed your first reply to, is a direct descendant of the O'Connor side of the family. He is very interested in researching and sharing his family history, too. 
There was a reunion of the family held in 2000 in Dublin and a book of family history written by our cousin, Marie, was shared with all in attendance.  If you are interested she has offered to send you the information she has about your part of the family history. She would need an e-mail address to send it to.  Mattie Mae

Offline SHumanVogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 January 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Mattie Mae,
We actually do have that book, it was given to us by Eibhlin. All three Fionnguala's children are still alive, my email address is (*), if you write to me there, I can share the names with you. I have some photos of Fionnguala and her children as well that I will scan and send.
Salome

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Aileen Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 January 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Dear Matie

Would you be so kind as to also send me the information regarding our grandfather Seamus?  Are you in touch with Dan McGill?  I would love to know whether he is still alive.  And Anne?

Aileen Vogel

Offline dabirchall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 January 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Ann McGill died in SF the year before last

Offline Aileen Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 January 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
And Dan?

Offline mattiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 January 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Aileen,
Anne McGill (nee O'Connor) was born 11 Jan 1895 and died 31 Aug 1984.  Her son, Dan, was at the family reunion in Dublin in 2000.  I am in touch with his cousin, Terry (who also attended the reunion), but have not been able to reach Dan.  I have asked Terry how to contact him or his family but have not heard from her in the past couple of weeks. I will share any information I'm given. Hope this helps a little.  Your cousin,  MattieMae

Offline Aileen Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 January 10 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, cousin MattieMae  :)