Author Topic: Moffat  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Lynn Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Moffat
« on: Saturday 05 May 07 11:58 BST (UK) »
Could someone look up Ann Moffat b c1835 and her son James b 1854 Annan on the 1861 and 1871 census please.
Griffiths - Breconshire, Owens- Glamorgan and Monmouthshire, Webb - Brecon Thomas - Breconshire, Kirkup - Northumberland, Moffatt - Dumfries, Guthrie - Cumberland, Hogg - Cumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moffat
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 May 07 12:53 BST (UK) »
The closest I can see - the ages seem a bit variable  ::)

1861 Dumfriesshire
Anne Moffat 29 head born Dumfries ?fitter and Plumber (an error I would think)  ???
John Moffat 8 son born Dumfries
James Moffat 5 son born Dumfries
Mary Ann Moffat 3 daughter born Dumfries
Living at 13 High Street Dumfries St Michael

Ann Moffat 36 head born Dumfries Sick Nurse
James Moffat 16 son born Dumfries Apprentice painter
Mary Ann Moffat 11 daughter born Dumfries scholar
Living at 34 Queensberry Close Dumfries

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lynn Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 07 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you this seems to be what I am after. Any chance of you finding them on the 1851 census as I am still missing her husband - possibly my gt gt grandfather.
Griffiths - Breconshire, Owens- Glamorgan and Monmouthshire, Webb - Brecon Thomas - Breconshire, Kirkup - Northumberland, Moffatt - Dumfries, Guthrie - Cumberland, Hogg - Cumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 07 14:46 BST (UK) »
She may not have been married in 1851 - the oldest child seems to have been born about 1852/3 - do you have a maiden name? Unfortunately marital status is not on my copy of the census - you could check the images at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  (pay to view) to see if she was married or a widow. You could also get a copy of one of the childrens birth records (need one born 1855 or later)

(her occupation in 1861 might be wife of fitter & plumber  :) )

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lynn Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 07 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your time and trouble - my gt grandad James b 1854 is proving most elusive - his marriage certificate does not show a father and I can't find his birth so not really sure whether this is the correct family or not but it seems to be the best fit.
 ???