Author Topic: Slaters from Perth/Caputh to Ireland to Canada  (Read 3211 times)

Offline cairolyle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Slaters from Perth/Caputh to Ireland to Canada
« on: Sunday 06 May 07 03:10 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the Slater family that lived in Muff Parish, Drumskellan, Donegal, Ireland in the early 1800s and may have come from Scotland. They were known as the Slaters of The Rock.

Before my grandmother died in 2004, the year I started my research, she swore we were originally from Scotland. Didn't know where though....great. So I am starting my search on possible Thomas Slaters who may have emigrated from Scotland to Ireland and were farmers by trade....at least they were when they got to Canada....maybe they were literally slaters in Ireland. I don't know. I wish I had more information. I do know that there is a direct line of Thomas Slaters....so someone loved that name!!!  This name may still be in records somewhere in Scotland.

My g.g.g.g.grandfather was Thomas Slater and he was born 1862. I believe his father was also Thomas Slater (at least that is the name on his daughter's marriage certificate...Mary Ruth Slater married James Greer) and am still trying to find that information. Thomas went to Canada in 1851, and I have all of that info. I do have a person who is trying to help me find more info on the Slaters in Ireland, but I welcome any help!  Does anyone know of a Slater family that moved from Scotland to northern Ireland? One person thought my Slaters could have come from Perth or Caputh and since this was Perthshire...perhaps folks would have some info. If there is a better discussion board I should be on, please advise. :)

Joy
Florida, USA

Moderator Comment: If anybody can help, then please check out this thread on the Donegal Board as well,
to avoid duplication of efforts. Thanks :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,231051.0.html