Author Topic: Bellevue, Ballymacarrett  (Read 5139 times)

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bellevue, Ballymacarrett
« on: Monday 07 May 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
Anyone got an old map of Ballymacarrett? I have a possible ancestor, James Tedford living there in 1861. Is it a street, area or house?  :-\

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Bellevue, Ballymacarrett
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Mandrake,

I think Bellevue, Ballymacarrett may be the name of a house.

The Tedfords below signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912. I think Jackson's address should be 75, High Street. Have a look at his signature and address by clicking on png. Just enter surname: Tedford and address: Belfast and the four names will appear.   

Eva Tedford, 7, Wellington Park, Belfast

Margaret Tedford, 7, Wellington Park, Belfast 

Jackson Tedford, 75, Hugh Street, Belfast   

James Tedford, 'Cintra' , Green Road, Knock, Belfast

Christopher

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 16:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Christopher - any ideas as to where I might find out the history of the Tedford Ship Chandlers Donegall Quay(now a restaurant) to see if there is a connection to my Tedford ancestors from Ballyhackamore (?). All I know is that my g grandfather William Tedford (1849 - 1912) was living in Ballyhackamore in 1869 when he married. His father, also William, was a carpenter according to the marriage certificate but I cant place him anywhere. I'm a bit stuck on this one and would appreciate your advice! My g grandfather went on to own the post office and livery stables at Strandtown.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Mandrake,  I looked at the Tedfords in Emerald Ancesters.  You will find a lot of William Tedfords living and getting married in Lurgan.
I see a William Tedford, father, William Tedford, address, Donegall Quay,listed as a pupil in Campbell College.  I think it would be well worth your while payine £9.95 for a month's subscription to this site.
http://www.emeraldancestors.com
Regards, RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
P.S.  Is this your William?
William Tedford married Ellen Newel in Belmont Presbyterian Church, Belfast, 21/5/1869
also in the same church 1901, Susan Tedford married William Henry Scott.  RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary Joan
I already looked on Emerald. The William and Ellen Newall are my g grandparents. I'm sure the Susan must be connected somewhere but she wasn't one of their children. I havent got all of the rest of the family's children so she could be one of theirs. My main sticking point is finding out where this line of Tedfords originated from. There seems to be a clan in Armagh and another in Banbridge but my lot appear to be Ballyhackamore area. If I could just find out whereabouts Wm Tedford was living when he married Ellen in 1869 it would probably help me get back a bit more. Will keep looking and thanks for your help!  :D

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mandrake,

There's this query on Genforum ...

Tedford granddaughter from Belfast looking info!!

There are 26 posts relating to Tedford on the Genforum Ireland board

Tedford, Newall Belfast on Mary Lennon's Lookups.

Chris

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thats me!! No real joy from replies yet though!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 21:46 BST (UK) »
.....  any ideas as to where I might find out the history of the Tedford Ship Chandlers Donegall Quay (now a restaurant) to see if there is a connection to my Tedford ancestors from Ballyhackamore .....

A look at the directories should show when the Chandlery business started at Donegall Quay.

It's not listed in the UHF's "Merchants in Plenty. Joseph Smyth's Belfast Directories of 1807 and 1808." 

I tried the 1843 directory on the Lennon Wylie website. There's no Tedford listed in that one.

1852 directory borrowed from SEELB Ballynahinch branch
James Tedford, ship chandler and provision dealer, 29, Donegall Quay. Residence: 34, Chichester Street.

1861 on the Lennon Wylie site
James Tedford, ship chandler and sail, 7, Donegall Quay. Residence: 20 Great George's Street.

Maggiemay's post on in Lookups on Wednesday April 25th is really helpful. She finds good information and doesn't mention the year. She made a second post and again didn't mention the year. It must be the 1901 directory though as she owns one for that year. It's a pity the LookUps site does not list all the directories that are owned by regular posters based in the north of Ireland in the same way that many other sites do including RootsChat.