Author Topic: A tragedy in Cold Ash  (Read 5678 times)

Offline Talmage

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A tragedy in Cold Ash
« on: Tuesday 08 May 07 16:02 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about my husband's great-great grandfather who perished in a blizzard in Cold Ash in January 1881. His name was George Hawkins but we have been told by someone brought up in the area that he was known as John Palmer and that was how he was named in a Newbury newspaper report of what happened.
The family was apparently unaware of this other name so any information would be very welcome.

Thanks
Talmage

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A tragedy in Cold Ash
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
'Someone' has got it wrong - he is named as George Hawkins in the Newbury Weekly News report. However, I have not seen the actual report - only the extract in "A Cold Ash Diary" by Reg Piper. This is wonderful work but sadly is not published - the copy I have access to is in West Berkshire Museum in Newbury. The story you refer to is in the 1st volume covering 1865-1887.

In summary - George was a carter employed by Mr Shepherd to make a trip to Tyle Mill - he took with him a lad called Alfred Palmer (perhaps the source of the name confusion?). They set off back to Cold Ash stopping along the Bath Road at Jack's Booth (Sulhampstead) and the Coach & Horses (Midgham) for beer and biscuits. When they got to Grays Pond George sent the lad home and continued on his own up Lawrence's Lane toward Mr Shepherds Farm. Now he was off the main road the cart got stuck and he abandoned it taking the horses with him to travel home via Cold Ash Hill. A number of witnesses explain how they variously spoke to George, found the horses and put them in a barn for the night, heard voices calling etc. (the coroner was to censure some for not investigating the calls).  His son Edward found the body at 8am by the gate to 'Mr Law's field'  a few hundred yards from home on the Ridge close to St Gabriels Convent. Near to where he was found lived the Rev John Bacon (famous locally as a pioneer balloonist) who had a St Bernard that apparently barked all night - on hearing of George's demise Bacon reproached himself for not letting the dog out and finding what was disturbing it.
Apparently George was the first man to be married at St Marks church in Cold Ash.

If you want the full NWN report you could try contacting their archivist or Newbury Library.
You could also try the BRO to see if the coroner's report has survived - there are some for around that period.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Talmage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 May 07 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this - it has cleared up a lot of confusion. We had intended looking at the newspaper report but I thought I would try the message board first as i have had a lot of help through it on other matters.

We actually went to Cold Ash on Monday and found what we thought was roughly the site and from what you say that part of our information was correct.

We'll certainly try to find the coroner's report.

Many thanks again - you have made my day!

Talmage

Offline Coldashman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
To read a full description of this tragedy at the Ridge in Cold Ash in January 1881, you need to obtain a copy of 'Record of an Aeronaut: Being the life of John Mackenzie Bacon' by Gertrude Bacon (1907). Rev. John Bacon lived at Sunnyside, just below the Ridge in Cold Ash. You will find eloquent details of the snow storm on pages 132-133.

Record of an Aeronaut can be obtained from Newbry Library or as a paperback facsimile copy from internet booksellers. It's a good read!

Offline Talmage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 08:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this. It is actually my husband's ancestor who died in the snowstorm so I will pass your message on to him.
Talmage

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 11 12:22 BST (UK) »
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Talmage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 09:07 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.
Talmage