Author Topic: Weeping trees on grave-stones  (Read 35649 times)

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Weeping trees on grave-stones
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 June 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
FATAL ACCIDENTS AT BANGOR
North Wales Chronicle (Bangor, Wales), Saturday, May 20, 1876

John Jones , stone and marble mason of Menai Bridge was killed while adjusting a pulley at his employers Messrs J Thomas & Son`s slate and enamel works Bangor.
He was ` caught by the machinery and whirled round the shafting once, and when his fellow workmen ran to his assistance he was held fast to the shafting and was quite dead ` It took ten minutes to get the body down.
Poor man  :'(
 I wonder if J Thomas & Sons did any of the gravestones we are looking at.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 June 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The website is  www.rhiw.com and it contains lots of information on local people and their chapels.

Another thought about the emblem being the masons " mark". In the Vale of Belvior, Leics, there is a Belvoir Angel on some stones and it is thought that it is the work of only two stone masons. It is apparently only found within this area so it may be that willows are only common to this area. :-\

One of the headstones I pictured with the Willow was from 1915 so it has been used for a relatively long period.
Leics: Edlin, Isam, Wright, Wesson
Notts: Smith, Hughes.
Lancs: Dobbin, Rowlinson, Marr, Povall, Hall, Halliwell
Berks/ Sussex: Dearlove, Carter, Marchant.
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 January 10 21:03 GMT (UK) »
The tradition of planting Weeping Willows in trees go back to I believe medieval times.  I know that the best Bows were made of Yew, but I think Willow was also used.

At this time every capable man & boy was expected to practice his archery in case of war (which was not unusual).  I think the poorer people used Willow & the rich Yew.  You will find both in Churchyards, where they do not take up valuable farming/grazing land.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Ll20021

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 March 20 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I've just finished looking through a graveyard in Delta, Pennsylvania (US) which also has many beautiful slate headstones with the weeping willow motif and inscriptions in Welsh. Many came from Wales to work the slate here. I googled it to see if it was a predominantly Welsh thing and discovered this site!  Wish I knew how to upload a couple photos of the stonework.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 19 March 20 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat from Wales !    Bora da !!

We are a friendly lot; you can upload photos to this site BUT they mustn't be too big.   Search and you will find how to do it !

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 March 20 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome, I found this interesting site with some photos.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/peach-bottom-slate-region
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline PeteRae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 April 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lydart,
realise this is a very old thread, but, as a memorial mason, I'd like to put my tuppence worth in...
The Palm trees are a Christian symbol...Palm Sunday...
On your third photo at the start of the thread there is a figure, normally The Good Shepherd (Jesus) kneeling under the Palm Trees in front of a broken column. This is broken which indicates the death of a young person ie one who did not reach 3 score years and 10. Each Stonemason would have a section of designs which they favoured, all variations on a theme.
As far as Masons marks, it would be extremely unusual for one to be anywhere on a family memorial. A building or public monument yes, and even then only near the bottom.
As an aside, I've swam in the water under the Britannia bridge when doing a Rescue Boat course with the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service....great fun!
Rae , Johnstone , Irving , Aitchison all in D&G....Drysdale and  Stobie in Kinross shire.  Grindley in Cumberland.

Offline mhac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 June 23 22:55 BST (UK) »
The tradition of planting Weeping Willows in trees go back to I believe medieval times.  I know that the best Bows were made of Yew, but I think Willow was also used.

At this time every capable man & boy was expected to practice his archery in case of war (which was not unusual).  I think the poorer people used Willow & the rich Yew.  You will find both in Churchyards, where they do not take up valuable farming/grazing land.

Yew is poisonous to animals, before the enclosures act land was not fenced into fields,so animals could eat Yew and would die,
The only place in a village that was enclosed was the Churchyard ,so Yews were planted there away from livestock .
Each peasant had a strip of the various kinds of land, heavy ,light,clay, wet dry etc.
iIt was an attempt to be fair and people moved to other strips every year so in time every family had some bad strips and some good ones, on a rota system.
Viktoria.