Author Topic: Weeping trees on grave-stones  (Read 35568 times)

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Weeping trees on grave-stones
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 May 07 07:43 BST (UK) »
http://www.prosiectmenai.co.uk/churchisland.html

I wonder if they meant is was a choice of designs rather than a mark.
He did say the families could choose which they wanted. If it was a masons own mark then surely it would be the same on all his work. ???

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~txcemeteries/symbol.htm

This site gives the meanings of  synbols i., Willow -- sorrow, Palm tree -- Triumph over death.   So I suppose  it was all  down to a choice of designs  offered by the mason.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 May 07 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you VERY much for this:-
http://www.prosiectmenai.co.uk/churchisland.html
I'm going back to Anglesey soon, and this site fills in some gaps (well, more gaping caverns) in my knowledge about the place. 

I suspect the explanation of the weeping trees is that it was just a fashion at that time ... just like some grave-yards have lots of angels heads on graves.  The carving on the slate stones is very fine ...

I also went to Pen Mon on the eastern pojnt of the island ... well worth a visit.
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 May 07 16:36 BST (UK) »
Enjoy your visit, I have just come back from a flying visit to Menai Bridge this morning. I went to Bangor Library to do some research and popped over to the Liverpool Arms for a `pie and a pint`. ::)

I visit Anglesey very often, usually when there is M/C meeting at the Trac Mon. ;D
There are lots of lovely places to visit, do your homework before you go and I agree Penmon priory is lovely. Try the ` Church in the bay- St Cwyfan`s ` by Aberffraw, at sunset, and just up the road is the Burial Chamber at Cable Bay.( Trecastell) :)
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 May 07 18:24 BST (UK) »
We had Sunday lunch in the Liverpool Arms !!   And to keep on topic, we talked about slate grave-stones and their fine carving while we ate excellent lamb !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 June 07 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi - just to say that Iv been on that island in the Menai Straits and in the little church there. Im a graduate of bangor uni (and about to be a student there again!) and used to go over to this island quite a lot when i needed some time to think and somewhere quiet to go. Iv made many an important decision sat in the tiny tiny church on that island - isnt it 15th/16th century? Its one of those very special places to me.

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 June 07 20:42 BST (UK) »
ps - penmon point/puffin island was also a favourite place of mine and the beach at newborough and llanddwyn island. Will be going back there in the summer!
Hope you had a nice time there
ALison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline WelshGen

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 June 07 03:20 BST (UK) »
May I just add my two pence worth. I've been to a lot of cemetries around Anglesey and Gwynedd looking for ancestors and I can't recall seeing that particular Palm design anywhere else so I think it is /was a pattern exclusive to that one stonemason. Might be worth checking the more recent headstones to see if that design is still in use.
If anyone is interested I've got digi pics of about half the headstones on Church Island. Been meaning to transcribe them but just can't seem to find the time at the moment.
You can get an excellent photo of the Britannia Bridge from the top of the island.
Jones, Parry, Williams on Lleyn, Hughes, Thomas on Anglesey/Caernarvonshire, Blunt, Davies, Lee in Dudley, Staffs
Cox, Humphreys and Keech, Bedford
My website http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 June 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just returned from Wales, in particular the Llyn Penisula, near Aberdaron. Whilst there I visited St Maelrhys Church, Llanfaelrhys and the Weeping Willow / Palm tree is evident on stones there also. It is probably a symbol more related to the teachings in the area as a whole. Both these areas were used by pilgrims on their way to Bardsey and other special sites.

The area is of outstanding beauty and does give you a sense of peace as someone as mentioned.

If any one wants pictures of the church or the few stones I pictured let me know.
There is good site on the area of Rhiw which details lots of interest to those with roots there but I can't quite find it! Will look it out and post later.
 :) :)
Leics: Edlin, Isam, Wright, Wesson
Notts: Smith, Hughes.
Lancs: Dobbin, Rowlinson, Marr, Povall, Hall, Halliwell
Berks/ Sussex: Dearlove, Carter, Marchant.
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 June 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
I'd forgotten about this thread !

I agree with Midmum about a lot of these churches being used by pilgrims on the way to Bardsey ... Ynys Enlli ... we were on our way as pilgrims to Bardsey for a week, and also used this church on the way there and back !

I still haven't found this weeping tree symbol in churchyards anywhere else in central or south Wales ...