Author Topic: Quaker research..don't know where to turn  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Quaker research..don't know where to turn
« on: Tuesday 08 May 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
Recently I obtained a copy of the will of my ancestor William Bamber of Hawthornthwaite, Over Wyresdale, 1697.  In this will, William expressed his wish to be buried in the "frends burying ground".  At that time the nearest Quaker cemetery to Hawthornthwaite was across the Wyre in Abbeystead.  According the the GENUKI website, the Society of Friends Meeting House in Abbeystead was founded in 1690 but was closed and disbanded by 1970. 

Does anyone know where I can access these records?  I have no experience in Quaker family research and do not even know where to begin.  Any advice on this topic would be most welcome.

Incidentally, names mentioned in this will are "my son in law" Robert Clarke of Condor Green; daughter Ann "wife to Robert Townson of Morehead", and son Thomas Bamber of Hawthornthwaite.

Thanks,
Phil
Catholic families of the Amounderness region of Lancashire, England:  Tomlinson, Bamber, Gillow, et. al.
Dunn, Dempsey, McCabe from the Clonaslee area of Laois, Ireland.
Nolan, Kelly from Tipperarry, Ireland.

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker research..don't know where to turn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 00:41 BST (UK) »
There is a website here,

http://www.quaker.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=90051&int1stParentNodeID=89813&strAreaColor=aqua

that might help, but records should be in the local records office, the graveyard might still be there.
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L