Author Topic: Wills how do I get a copy please?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Wills how do I get a copy please?
« on: Wednesday 09 May 07 01:20 BST (UK) »
I have been told by one of the other members on the board that 2 Wills of my ancestors were proved in 1823 and 1831 respectively.

Simon Stout of Upton 1823 and
Joseph Stout of Cantley 1831

I have tried the National Archives on line facility but they dont seem to be there.

Can someone please advise how I go about getting copies?

Many thanks
Jackie :D
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wills how do I get a copy please?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 15:47 BST (UK) »
Most pre1858 wills were proved at diocesan level and are held at county records offices. Those at the National Archives tend to be those proved at archdiocesan level (Canterbury), which is probably why you've not been able to find them. Assuming I've looked at the right Upton & Cantley it appears the wills would be at Norfolk Records Office - here's a link to the relevant webpage
http://archives.norfolk.gov.uk/guide/nroprob.htm
There's also an online catalogue on the site which seems to list both the entries you mention.
I expect they will provide postal copies (at a charge) if you're not in that area.

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed. I will contact Norfolk as you suggest.

All the best
Jackie :D

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 07 22:42 BST (UK) »
Just to add at Archdiocesan level you also have York which unlike the PCC wills are not online

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 May 07 23:03 BST (UK) »
If your ancestor had property in Norfolk you are extremely unlikely to find his will at York becausse he would need to only have property in the northern half of England which was covered by York.  You have already eliminated Canterbury and so you should only need to look at the diocese in which he lived and so probaly owned any property.  The rules are:

Local - at the record office of the diocese.
Property in more than one diocese in the north of England - York
Property in more than one diocese in South or in North and South - Caterbury.

Both Upton and Cantley should be in the Archdeaconry of Norfolk and so in Norfolk Record Office.

David                     
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 May 07 23:06 BST (UK) »
Whilst I agree with you I wasnt suggesting they try York I was adding to your own post where you failed to mention York :)  Oh and I have found wills at York for property only in the South and vice versa but they're not the norm

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 May 07 23:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much indeed for the information. It explains a lot to me which I didnt understand re Wills and their whereabouts.

I have in fact been able to track them down at Norfolk RO and am awaiting for them to arrive

Thanks to everyone for their help :D

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 07 23:29 BST (UK) »
Whilst I agree with you I wasnt suggesting they try York I was adding to your own post where you failed to mention York :)  Oh and I have found wills at York for property only in the South and vice versa but they're not the norm

Rob

Not my post  However you need to be very careful about locations.  It is not the location of the parish but the location of the diocese to which the parish belonged which is important.  Before 1850 there were a lot of "peculiars" which belonged to diocese in other parts of the country for strange historical reasons.  The result is when searchig for a will the diocese to which the parish belonged at the time of death needs to be checked.  Also it is the location of property not the place of death which is important.

For example where I live is in East Berkshire but my parish was a peculiar of the Dean of Sarum and so I need to look in Wiltshire Record Office for early wills.  That is if I can find it because it keeps moving latest destination Swindon.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
David,

Yes I know that but didnt want to confuse the issue on the beginners boards lol
Rob