Author Topic: Help with Family name - HACKNEY  (Read 6555 times)

Offline silver1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Family name - HACKNEY
« on: Wednesday 09 May 07 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this so bear with me. My grandfather was JOSEPH VICTOR HACKNEY 1916, birth entry  was mothers maiden name Hackney (caroline) so I thought it must be illegitimate birth, but then when he marries ELSIE BOOTH (1918) in1934 the marriage certificate states  father as Joe Hackney - deceased???(also my grandfather calls himself Joe on the marriage cert instead of Joseph Victor??? ???
His mother Caroline must have married later to someone called Chadwick(death announcement). Possibly he had a sister called Olive and maybe a brother.
 ???
Also my grandmother Elsie is a bigger mystery as I only have small birth cert, so no idea of mother or father. But birth is listed with Booth as maiden name of mother so again maybe illegitimate birth. But as for where to go from there??? I would appreciate any help in the right direction Thankyou ;)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Family name - HACKNEY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat.  You need to work out exactly what you have and then look to see if full certificates etc might give you more information.   Many people made up a father's name when they married to save face with the new inlaws so Joseph may still be illegitimate.    All BMDs are free to search on www.ancestry.co.uk   Scroll down on the home page and click the link down on the right hand side.  You then have the option to look at the pages from the main GRO index and can search them quarter by quarter.  If you find a possible match you can order the certificates online.   Once you are back beyond 1901 then census records are available online and there will be many people able and willing to help.
If you give full information about place and date of birth, marriages etc then local rootschatters may be able to help.  Do be careful not to give details of living persons though.  Who did Elsie give as her father on the marriage certificate?   Who were the witnesses?   Often relatives so useful clues.   Working in the 1900s is hard without buying the certificates but once you get back a bit further it will be much easier.
Andrea

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hello there and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

Your grandfathers birth reference is Joseph V Hackney born March 1/4 of 1916 in Bramley volume 9b page 411.

The mothers maiden name is indeed Hackney-but don't assume that she wasn't married. Many people around that time had the habit of marrying cousins-my own grandparents did that in 1923.

Although it was,as Andrea says,common for people(if they had been born illegitimately) to invent a fathers name so as not to upset the inlaws  ;D

If you need us to find your grandmothers birth reference can you tell us where and exactly when she was born- Booth is quite a common surname.

All the best

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
There are two more births in the same registration district (Bramley) at about the same time, that list Hackney as the mother's maiden name:

Mary O Hackney   Mar 1912
Frederick Hackney  Mar 1913

There are others in Thorne, but none, in either place, may prove to be connected.

There seems to be a complete absence of Caroline Hackney births between 1880 and 1903; Hackneys who married Carolines at about the right time; or Caroline Hackneys in the 1901 census who might be right.

Joseph's birth certificate seems the next step.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 10:19 BST (UK) »
Could that Mary O be the OLIVE that Silver mentions- known by her middle name perhaps?

Maybe if they have the habit of using middle names,mum isn't Caroline at all  ::)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silver1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 11:06 BST (UK) »
Wow you lot are really fast!!! So here goes:-
I already have Josephs full birth cert. DOB 19.01.16 living @ 12 Bosnia St. Armley. Mother Caroline Hackney. Registered 13.03.16 Registra John H. Bromley.
I have ordered Elsie's full birth cert.
Marriage cert - No father for Elsie, just a line. Witnesses Ivy Warr and John Rowley.
Joseph living @ 10 Gratton St. Kirkstall Rd
Elsie living @ 12 Florest St.
The other info I have is from old newspaper cuttings, (in my grandfathers papers) Death or memorial announcement. Caroline Chadwick (Carrie) died 21.03.43.mentions daughters , also name Olive, and other names.
So the only thing I don't have is Elsie's full birth cert, but I'm sure that is not going to show a father.
I seem to recall a man called Charlie who she called our Charlie(who I thought was her brother) but when I found a letter from his wife Nellie who moved to Australia,(don't know if he went or if he died first, Nellie went with her daughter Margaret and husband, their daughter Sandra stayed here) realised the surname was Heaton??  ???
I remember her talking about our Arthur and Lizzie, (they are a couple) and in the photos Arthur looks like Charlie?? I am trying to give you anything and everything, as these thing seem to make more sense to you. Thankyou for trying :)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 11:19 BST (UK) »
The Mar 1943 death registers put Caroline's age at death as 60 which is older than I thought she would be.

Still no Caroline Hackney bc 1883 sightings though.
There is a Caroline Hackney (probably the one b 1880 Derby) who marries Alfred Bowler in 1904 (Bakewell) but they are still having children together in 1917.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 11:43 BST (UK) »

Hmm,Your profile doesn't give any idea of where you are.

You DO have addresses which can be checked in electoral rolls for specific years.
These rolls are not usually online, reference libraries local to the places usually do.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline silver1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sorry, Im from the Leeds area. West Yorkshire, Im assuming that most of the family will be from that area, as never any mention of other counties.
Thanks for looking.  :)