Author Topic: HELP with MARSDEN family  (Read 1287 times)

Offline silver1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP with MARSDEN family
« on: Wednesday 09 May 07 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I need help, I'm stuck.
My grandma SARA ANN (known as Sally) MARSDEN 1913 married to Grandfather Walter Mackwell 1913
The information I have :-  No fathers name on marriage cert (original) for Sara Ann
Burial details for Sara Ann died 1926 aged 65 (I think this is her grandma)
Paperwork from John Edward rip 1936 naming her as his niece
The family is listed living @ Lemon St. in 1891 & 1901 Census
My auntie (sally and Walters daughter) recalls Sally talking about our Mary Ann and John Willy,also remembers been taken to visit someone called William (married with children) who she called grandad
Sara Ann's mother died when she was 2-3 (influenza) and she was brought up by her grandma. They had a grocers shop High St. in the Bank area of Leeds
I am deducing that Elizabeth was her mother and she never married, and John Edward was her mothers brother .
Hope this makes some kind of sense to someone.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP with MARSDEN family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Silver
Have i read this right? Sarah Ann Marsden (born? 1913
  Married your grandfather 1913 Died 1926 age 65 she would only be 13 in 1926.

celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline silver1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 23:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry looks a bit confusing/
Sara Ann born 1913 (Sally my grandma)
married Walter Born 1913 (my grandfather.)
Her grandmother Sara Ann (same name) died 1926 aged 65
Does that make more sense??   ???

Online Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 May 07 09:44 BST (UK) »
This looks like Sally's birth registration:

Births Sep 1913   (90%)
MARSDEN    Sarah A    (mother's maiden name MARSDEN)   
Leeds 9b 777

However, as it seems she was illegitimate, the cert will almost certainly only give her mother's name.

If you already have the family on the 1891 and 1901 censuses, what further information are you looking for?  (Earlier censuses, for instance?)

The censuses you mention show Elizabeth with parents Sarah Ann and Charles William (who may have been known by his middle name).  She also has siblings called Mary Ann, John Edward and John W(illy?) - all details which fit your information. 

There are plenty of people who'll be happy to help you, but I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for!   8)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silver1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to try find father, but at least confirm that Elizabeth is the mother.
Will order birth cert, that will confirm it.
Still new to this, going round in circles a bit.
Trying to do too many families at once, but its so exciting
MACKWELL, SILVERWOOD, HACKNEY, BICKERDYKE, BOOTH, MARSDEN
thats for starters.
It is like a drug, so addictive. If only I knew the tricks of the trade.
For instance I had been paying to look at every birth entry, right or wrong on Genes Reunited, where you have put me on to the ancestry site where I can do it free !Also I received a Gedcom, but now not sure if all info is right. Learning by my mistakes, will have to check it all.
Is there anywhere to search census results free? It costs 50p to look and 50p to see original.  :o

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 07 11:01 BST (UK) »
1881 is free both on the Ancestry site and www.familysearch.org

Others are available on Ancestry either as pay to view or by getting a subscription.

Rootschatters are VERY good at doing look ups for you!

Censuses are on microfilm at the FRC in London to look at for free.

and also I notice that I think you said you live in the Leeds ish area, and most of your ancestors hail from a similar area (may have got this wrong, it was on another post and I might be muddling it up) but if so I would make contact with your local Records Office and see what they have, in due course.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 07 13:03 BST (UK) »
You can search the GRO index at Free BMD http://freebmd.rootsweb.com
or on Ancestry http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

Free BMD isn't complete (especially after 1910ish), but is easier to search; Ancestry has a copy of Free BMD plus the complete GRO images, which you have to search qtr by qtr..

Try looking for Charles and Sarah's marriage on Free BMD: select "marriages" and enter his surname and first names, plus Sarah's first name where it says "spouse's first name".  This should bring up Charles' name plus a reference - click on the page number to see other people listed on the same page, and you will find out Sarah's maiden name.

Another free site you may find helpful is Yorkshire BMD http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/ which is arranged a little differently from Free BMD.  (Also incomplete, but frequently updated.)

Try searching the IGI at http://www.familysearch.org (currently running slow, so you may need to persevere a bit!)

Then as Liz says, you can use the information you have to post lookup requests for other censuses on the county boards - remember to give (approx) dates of birth and birthplace to help us search!

Rambler 
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silver1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 May 07 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I searched Charles William Marriage on ancestry, as you suggested, but when I try to click on the page number, nothing happens??

Offline silver1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 May 07 15:57 BST (UK) »
Just realised how to do it, clicked the right hand side not left. Sorry