Author Topic: Moffat & Scott - a puzzle which is driving me nutty  (Read 7758 times)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Moffat & Scott - a puzzle which is driving me nutty
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 May 07 13:05 BST (UK) »
Jean Carson ages 20's by the time of the 1851 census, when she is 71.

Where did you find George Scott and Sarah Tweedie? 
Just going to have another look on the IGI
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 May 07 13:39 BST (UK) »
Have just got George Scott's death cert.  He died May 1888 Lochmaben, was married to Sarah Tweedie, and his parents were William Scott (deceased), and Ann Scott m.s. Cunningham (deceased).
Which looks like the family I was looking at in 1851 Ecclefechan.
So now I can count them out and am left with:

Elizabeth Scott b 1838 Ewes, living with her grandmother Jean Moffat nee Carson in 1841 and 1851, and housemaid at 'Twiglees' Eskdalemuir, to William Patersn, farmer in 1861.

Ann Scott, b 1850 Hoddam living with her uncle William Moffat, in 1861.

And still can't find either of them after that.   ???
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 May 07 14:25 BST (UK) »
 ???  M ore confused than ever.

Ann Scott, who was living with her aunt and uncle, William Moffat and Margaret (nee Cunningham), married Francis Martin, 26th May 1871 Dryfesdale. Her usual residence was Stodahill Cottages, correct address for William Moffat.  Her parents were William Scott (deceased) and Annie Scott m.s. Cunningham (deceased).

So it would appear that she was Margaret Moffat nee Cunningham's niece, rather than William Moffat.

Which clears up some of the mystery, but still leaves me with Elizabeth Scott, grandaughter in the household of Jean Moffat nee Carson........

Perhaps she wasn't Jean Carson's grandaughter at all????

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 May 07 15:12 BST (UK) »
 :)  :D  :) Got It!!!

Elizabeth Scott married Robert Davidson in 1861.  On the marriage cert no father.  Mother given as Janet Yeoman m.s. Moffat. Not born in Wedlock.

Birth of Janet Moffat 21 Jan 1810 Sanquhar, father John Moffat, is the only likely one on the IGI

Janet Yeoman, 30, ind, b Dms
was living with William Yeoman , 10, in 1841, at Caroline St, Langholm.

and at Ewes in 1851 with daughter Mina Yeoman, 16, seamstress, in 1851.

In 1861, she was living Arketon Cottages, Ewes, with daughter Willholmena Yeoman, age 23.  Janet is described as Farmer's widow.

So she appears to have had Elizabeth after she was widowed.

Can't find her marriage to ? Yeoman, or Elizabeth's birth.

Thanks you all for your input

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 May 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

These OPR birth/christening entries look relevant:

16/02/1827   YEOMAN   ELIZABETH   WILLIAM YEOMAN/JANET MOFFAT FR325   Ewes   /DUMFRIES   825/ 0020 0010   

06/04/1831   YEOMAN   WILLIAM   WILLIAM YEOMAN/JANET MOFFAT FR325   U   Ewes   /DUMFRIES   825/ 0020 0010

The Elizabeth entry is not obviously the one you are after but just additional info on Janet Moffat.

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 May 07 21:35 BST (UK) »
In 1841, Mina Yeoman age 5 is also living in Langholm like her mother Janet and brother William, with a Jackson family (James and Jane) at address 'Shaw'.

Regards.

Monica

Added: Janet Yeoman is showing an 1806 birth year in 1851 and a Tundergarth birth place - not sure how this fits it with what you have for parent John Moffat and Jean Carson.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 May 07 22:05 BST (UK) »
Janet Moffat Yeoman looks to have died in 1865. Her death at age on the index is showing as 'u' unrecorded but should show on the image. Might be worth looking at to confirm parents' details:

1865   MOFFAT   JANET       YEOMAN   F   U   EWES   /DUMFRIES   825/00 0008

Regards.

Monica

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 May 07 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica
I have a marriage for Wilhelmina Yeoman ( amazingly there was another Wilhelmina Yeoman wiht a similar date of birth and a mother called Janet) but I th ink i have the right one.
She married Malcom Clark on 16 June 1868, and her parents wereWilliam Yeoman, farmer, deceased and Janet Yeoman m.s. Moffat deceased.  One of the witnesses was William Yeoman.
I will check out the death cert of Janet

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 May 07 22:46 BST (UK) »
Janet Yeoman's death cert showed her parents as John Moffat and Jean Moffat m.s. Carson.  the informant was her son William Yeoman, 4 Marlborough Rd, Lee, Kent.

William married Margaret, is listed on the census as East India Merchant and had several children and several servants!

Haven't found Elizabeth Yeoman yet.

Will follow up these offspring and theirs tommorrow.