Author Topic: Headland, Purser, Bailey, Thew,Perkins, Fennel, Coleman,Evans of Beds villages  (Read 6370 times)

Offline lisasteve34

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi My maiden name was Headland and I am searching for any information linked to this and the names listed.

Purser, Bailey, Thew,Perkins, Fennel, Coleman,Evans,Cooper,Coe and Rogers

I am particularly interested in any information about

Thomas Headland B: 03 Mar 1879 Odell
John Thomas Headland B: 29 Sep 1844 (Beds Union Work House)
Mary Headland B: Oct 1825 Odell

Mary Went in to the work house to have John as she was left by her fiance just months before she was due.

Her banns of marriage where read March 1844 but by July 1844 Mary was in the workhouse because she was pregnant.
John Parish Perkins the named fiancee disappeared

I am looking for any help in finding this John Parish Perkins B: Abt. 1825.
I can't seem to find him before or after. There are several men with his name around that time but non of Odell, which is the parish he was named as being from in th Banns.

Any help would be great , may be he was to pay bastadry Bonds, as Mary soon left the workhouse and lived a good life. how do I find this out?
any help would be great
thanks

Headland - Bedfordshire villages
Rockingham -Leicestershire
Howell and Langley - Little Harrowden
Ward - Leeds
Chalkley - Hitchin

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Headland, Purser, Bailey, Thew,Perkins, Fennel, Coleman,Evans of Beds villages
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 20:39 BST (UK) »
Lisa .....

I was at the Beds F H S stand at Olympia on Saturday & someone came & asked about John Parish Perkins of Souldrop - was this you ?

Regards John P
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lisasteve34

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Headland, Purser, Bailey, Thew,Perkins, Fennel, Coleman,Evans of Beds villages
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 21:26 BST (UK) »
Yes I think it was. I have dark curly hair and glasses. Was it me?
Was going to email you but have only just sat down. shall isend you the details?
thanks
Lisa
Headland - Bedfordshire villages
Rockingham -Leicestershire
Howell and Langley - Little Harrowden
Ward - Leeds
Chalkley - Hitchin

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa,  I was the tall/old good looking ! one, yep I remember you. 

You can still email info to our researcher if you wish, or wait until you get more sensible responses from this site.  Of your names only Headland springs to mind as being in my Partridge family tree of north Beds.

Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline tekaybe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 08 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi I've got BAILEY's in Sutton / Old Warden / Potton areas of Bedfordshire.

Stuck with John BAILEY
He's born in Old Warden in c1782, but I can't find any reference to it - although IGI comes up with a few possible hits within a relatively small area around Old Warden, I can't definately rule out or confirm any... anyone any ideas?

John BAILEY married Martha UNDERWOOD in 1807 (Sutton)
9 kids, inlcuding:
Simeon BAILEY (b 1818) married Sarah TAYLOR in 1839 (Sutton)
Their daughter Martha BAILEY had illegitamate son (I think, as I can't find reference to a father on the baptism register), James George BAILEY, my great great grandfather.

Any ideas? Anyone else got these guys in their trees? Happy to share any and all of mine!

Karen

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Headland, Purser, Bailey, Thew,Perkins, Fennel, Coleman,Evans of Beds villag
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 08 14:43 GMT (UK) »
HI Karen

Welcome to Rootschat

Oddly I cannot see their marriage in Sutton, although there are some member submissions on the IGI which give Pulloxhill. Have you seen the entry? Does it give Old Warden as John's parish of residence?

There's a burial of a John Bailey aged 64 in Sutton on 25 May 1836, which if it's the same John Bailey would give a birth of 1772 rather than 1782. But there are no Bailey baptisms at all in Old Warden before 1800, and no burials either, so it doesn't seem as though they were an Old Warden family.

How did they end up in Sutton? Was Martha from Pulloxhill? The IGI has got a lot of member submissions relating to this couple, most of which seem to be pure guesswork.

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline tekaybe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 08 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, you see the trouble I'm up against?!!

I haven't got a clue where the info about the marriage in Sutton came from - I changed which family tree program I used and ended up loosing a load of my "notes" through it because I was a divvy!

I think the born c1782 Old Warden bit was from guesses on IGI (it's added to my info so I remember to look at it at some later date!)

I saw the John burial in Sutton too, and thought it looked pretty hopeful. All of their kids and grandkids (and great grandkids too I think) are born/based in Sutton, so I would assume that they were from nearby. I also looked into Polloxhill, but wonder if it is too far from Sutton to be considered?
Karen

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Headland, Purser, Bailey, Thew,Perkins, Fennel, Coleman,Evans of Beds villag
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 January 08 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

I think you need someone to check Pulloxhill transcript to see if the 1807 marriage actually exists and what else the entry says.  There are a couple of people on this board who have been known to pop into Bedford library on a Saturday morning and check the transcripts!

Once you know what that says then you can plan the next step. I'm pretty sure John wasn't from Old Warden though. You also need to demonstrate that the assumed Pulloxhill couple are the same ones as had children in Sutton. The dates look right but they might just as easily have moved westwards from Cambs, which is much closer than Pulloxhill.

Do you know what became of Martha?

You might have already seen this on A2A

Borough Quarter Sessions

ref.  Bor.B.F4/77/118  - date: 2nd July 1832
Midsummer Sessions. Recognizances: Samuel Bailey, son of John Bailey of Sutton, bastardy with Sarah Hooper of St Peter's.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline tekaybe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 08 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't seen the bastardy report actually..., thanks for that!

As for Martha - do you mean John's wife?

Here's her quick bio:
1823 - last child was born
1841 - can't find her
1851 - living with one of her daughters, widowed, in Mill House (part of the "Mansion House" grounds I'd say, as that's the next property on the census), Sutton.
1861 - still living in same place, with same daughter and a granddaughter too (not from that daughter though!).
1871 - obviously dead (there's a reference to martha baileys dying in the biggleswade area in 1862)

The cenci show her as born in Pulloxhill, Beds.

Karen