Author Topic: Brocton Camp, Staffs.  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Iban Kepala

• I have sadly retired researching my genealogy after 40 years
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brocton Camp, Staffs.
« on: Thursday 10 May 07 13:08 BST (UK) »
Centre row, sgt. with goggles. A.S.C; information requested (George Henry Greenhough):

Eventually I have managed to get this photo submitted. Until a few weeks ago I was not even aware that this late uncle of mine G.H.Greenhough had served in WW1 hence thse lack of details such as his number and unit other than - Ally Sloper's Cavalry. He became the common law husband of an Aunt of mine from Stafford, the first daughter Edith Nellie was born in the London area 1919 and then the family moved to the Manchester region where he became a taxi driver.
I am curious at the lack of medal ribbons on any of the tunics, all I do know is that this apparently was a despatch rider section.
Any help or info or advice would be appreciated.
George.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Brocton Camp, Staffs.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 07 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Tuan Iban!

OK come clean what is his real name  ;D

ASC so have you got his MIC?  I guess it's the date of the photo you are after?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 07 00:05 BST (UK) »

hmmm,

::) they are missing something else from a usual WW1 uniform  ;)

Offline Iban Kepala

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 07 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendi and Nameless One,
His real name is as I put it - in actual fact the only information I have apart from the fact that I recognise the gentleman as living with my Auntie Nell and her two daughters for many years, she died in 1959 and he followed her in 1963- is the writing on the reverse of the photograph
" George Greenhough (goggles on cap) with other dispatch riders at Brocton Camp"
from investigations I have made the camp ceased to exist shortly after the end of WWI so Yes I am looking for a potential dating of the picture.
How do I find his 'MIC' which I am presuming is something relating to his service without his Army Number or unit details?
What else is missing from the uniforms ? - did the A.S.C. wear puttees ? When on duty as dispatch riders, I have been given to understand that they wore Jodhpurs and leather shin guards.
As I said in my original note  - any help or advice giving me some enlightenment will be greatly appreciated.
Previously all I had about this chap was that in 1926, according to the Trade Directories for Manchester, he was residing in Russell Street, Chorlton on Medlock, Manchester - occupation of Taxi driver and also Secretary of the then Manchester United Football Supporters Association. No idea of his date of birth or anything due to the fact that following the death of Auntie Nell in 1959 when her daughter Nellie went to register the death was when she found out that there was no marriage ever recorded, she was so disgusted and angry at finding out that she was illegitimate that she went back home and destroyed everything she could find of her mother's which personally I could never understand because they had never wanted for anything. George Henry had provided for them all very well indeed, Nellie in fact had had a governess for most of her childhood life and had always had the Best of everything from toys to clothes etc.
So here's hoping that something new will eventually turn up, I liked the old devil very much.
George.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 May 07 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendi and Nameless One,

I think that's you harribobs! can you "belt up" and get on with it please  ;D

Tuan Iban

In your first post you have I think missed the "h" from your first spelling of his surname (well I'm working on that assumption, anyway) 

A MIC is a medal index card, held by the National Archives and available online to download for £3.50 which will give you information regarding medals awarded for WW1 and possible date of entry to the field, together with rank and number.

I am attaching a link to one for a George H Greenhough of the ASC, but his rank is only L/Corporal so, if this is your chap, it looks like he stayed in after the end of the war......

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iw/

If you choose to download the card, post it here and we can have a look at the info on it for you.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,

DERICK ~ France
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Iban Kepala

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 May 07 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
Many thanks for that link - I now have his MIC and believe that I have managed to decipher everything.
It shows him as a L/Cpl in the A.S.C., that he was in France (date of entry therein - 30.8.15) ; that he was awarded what I also believe were referred to as 'Pip, Squeak and Wilfred' i.e. 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory. The one section I am not too sure about was under the Remarks alongside the Medal section where it appears to be " Cl.Z. 15.2.19. Would that be the confirmation of the Medal Awards or Clearance to Z Reserve - that is presuming that 'Z Reserve' did exist back in those  days?
Now I am wondering just where did those medals  disappear to?
However, now then - when was the photograph taken? as he was shown on it as a Sgt it would seem to be definitely post war, so where were the medal ribbons?
Funny thing this genealogy lark - get one set of answers and you find a load more questions developing.
Once again many thanks, should anyone else come up with anything further, including from this possible 'Harribobs' I would again appreciate same.
George.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 May 07 13:28 BST (UK) »

Hi Tuan Iban

Nothing to do with his army records but I wondered if you had see these references to what could possibly be him in his Man United days..

http://www.red-web.be/club-history.php

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.siddall/1932-33.htm

:)

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iban Kepala

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 May 07 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendi,
I have learned more about my Uncle George Henry in the last couple of hours than I ever knew previously thanks to you. I must be honest and admit that until I saw the mention of him in the Trades Directory for 1926 I thought that most of what I had heard about him was of the 'mythical' vintage - having read and printed off both of the items you have just sent to me I am just wishing that I had got to know him better. I am wondering if I contacted the Club would they have anything else of especial interest to tell me. Will give it a go.
Once again many many thanks, you are an absolute STAR.
George.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 May 07 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi George !

The credit for the football links should go to millymcb !!

Although many don't sign their names their personal information is on the far left hand side of the screen   ;)

DERICK ~ France
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire