Author Topic: Southward - Corney  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Kinty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southward - Corney
« on: Thursday 10 May 07 18:50 BST (UK) »
Help please. Joseph Southward was born in Corney C1824 according to the1861 census. His father was called Ferdinand. (on Joseph's marriage cert). The problem is that I can't find Joseph or Fedinand on either the 1841 or 1851 census records. There is a Joseph with ferdinand as his father but they are not the same ones as this Joseph is alive after mine has died (1873).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks, Kinty
Cumberland - Southward
Longridge, Lancs - Southward
Nottingham - Southward, Rudkin, Hatton, Allen, Pearson
Lincs. - Oxley
Glos - Troughton, Ingles
Rutland - Keightley, Cliff, Jesson
Leics - Allen, Jesson, Freeling, Keightley

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Southward - Corney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 May 07 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Kinty

Here are a few thoughts.

On the censuses there seems to be only two possible candidates to be the father of Joseph.

Referring to the 1851 census (although both candidates are shown on others) there is Ferdinand aged 61 married to Sarah and Ferdinando aged 56 married to Margaret. The former is an Agricultural Labourer and the latter is a Farmer.

I would think that the first one can be eliminated because he has a son called Joseph born around 1835 at Castle Sowerby and his family do not seem to have been near Corney at any time.

However, if you look at Ferdinando and Margaret, although Joseph does not appear with them, it seems possible that he could be their son because they were living in or near Corney at the appropriate time. Three of their other sons were born there.

On the 1851 census it is obvious that they did have older children by the presence of their married daughter Eleanor (Elinor) Harrison who was born c1815. So there could be others between 1815 and 1828 including Joseph (some are shown with the family on the 1841 census but not Joseph, unfortunately).

The IGI does not help particularly. Some of the children of Ferdinando and Margaret are shown but others who appear on the censuses are not, so the absence of Joseph on the IGI cannot be used as evidence that he is not their son.

Do any of the witnesses on the marriage certificate match up with other family members ? What is Ferdinand’s occupation on the marriage certificate ? If it says Farmer then it would match up with Ferdinando (who is sometimes also listed as Ferdinand). If it says something else, then Joseph’s father must be another Ferdinand who does not appear on the censuses.

Consulting the Parish Registers for Corney might be the only way that you will find an answer (but there is no guarantee about that, either).

Sorry, that this is not more helpful. :-\

Maybe someone else will jump in now with something a bit better

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kinty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Southward - Corney
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 May 07 23:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help. On Joseph's marriage cert it gives Ferdinand's occupation as Farmer. I am unable to tie the witnesses in as they are given as John and Elizabeth Whittaker and I haven't found any Whittakers in the family - yet!

I will have a good look at Ferdinand and Margaret.

Thanks, Kinty
Cumberland - Southward
Longridge, Lancs - Southward
Nottingham - Southward, Rudkin, Hatton, Allen, Pearson
Lincs. - Oxley
Glos - Troughton, Ingles
Rutland - Keightley, Cliff, Jesson
Leics - Allen, Jesson, Freeling, Keightley