Author Topic: Unregistered birth in 1883?  (Read 6865 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Unregistered birth in 1883?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 May 07 17:11 BST (UK) »
Sue

The 1891 and 1901 census would have been filled in by either my g.grandad or g.grandmother.  Certainly g.grandmother was literate and on the 1901 census the family was living at a shop, where they stayed until they died, g.gran in 1928 and g.grandad in 1935.  I presume g.grandad was literate too, if he ran the shop after his wife died. 

All I can think is that g.grandad was a fisherman from London who ended up in Hull, or couldn't find work in London, so went to Hull to become a fisherman and met my g.gran.

Liz

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 May 07 17:45 BST (UK) »
All I've got on one census is London and the other census Middlesex.  How many registry offices is that then?!?

Liz

After trawling through loads of census sheets in the last couple of days, I suddenly realised that London was in Middlesex in 1841!!!

The Hugh Wallis site amuses me as there is a disclaimer about counties that don't really exist.  I haven't yet come across any there that didn't exist when I was a child.  Am I really THAT old?!
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 12 May 07 18:09 BST (UK) »
The 1901 census actually shows, Middlesex  crossed out and London written in, so who knows.

Liz

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 May 07 20:51 BST (UK) »
Liz

London is the better option  :)  London is actually smaller than Middlesex as London only occupied the south-east part of Middlesex in the late 19th century. So you are looking at Registration Offices just in London, which has to be better than the whole of Middlesex.

Sue
Blunden, Tate, Badslade, Pennicott, Fairbairn (Surrey) Bird (Surrey and Middlesex) Scales, Phillippo, Banham, Franklin (Norfolk) Bond, Miles (Oxfordshire) Webb (Worcestershire) Floyd, Drury (Kent) Clifton, Cane, Tester, Floyd (Sussex)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 May 07 00:30 BST (UK) »
Sue

Thanks for that info.  The 1891 census which is the first one I definitely have for my g.grandad gives his birth place as London.  Do you know which parishes were included between 1855 and 1865?  I have a list in my favourites of all the parishes in Middx but it has so many and the man I am looking for George W Wright has such a common name that it is impossible to even make a guess at which one is the correct man.

In 1891 he was "married" to my g.gran and living in Hull, but I can't find him before that.

Liz

Offline jody 101

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 May 07 01:17 BST (UK) »
My Great grandfather was born in 1863 and altough his siblings were all recorded in the bdm's there was no trace of him. We had his baptism papers so why was he not registered. Then low and behold a month ago he suddenly appeared as a new entry in the bdm's. Maybe yours is still waiting to be transcribed.
Jody
Arney Somerset
Cole London
Crossman Tavistock
Earle Hull Yorkshire
HANNS Tavistock       
MARTIN London         
VIGERS   London       
VIGURES Tavistock      
WRIGHT London
Peele England/New zealand
Hargreaves England/ New Zealand

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 May 07 01:43 BST (UK) »
Jody

I hope so, although you will know if you have been tracing your Wright from London, Wright was a very common name and even though his mother's surname was apparently Da Costa (why? was she not married?) I can't find him.

Liz

Offline jody 101

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 May 07 02:36 BST (UK) »
yep you are correct . The Wrights are very hard too find i have lost two of mine already after the 1891 census they disappear. Not only was the surname common the christian names were also very popular. Sorry i couldn't be any help.
Jody
Arney Somerset
Cole London
Crossman Tavistock
Earle Hull Yorkshire
HANNS Tavistock       
MARTIN London         
VIGERS   London       
VIGURES Tavistock      
WRIGHT London
Peele England/New zealand
Hargreaves England/ New Zealand

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 May 07 05:17 BST (UK) »
My Great grandfather was born in 1863 and altough his siblings were all recorded in the bdm's there was no trace of him. We had his baptism papers so why was he not registered. Then low and behold a month ago he suddenly appeared as a new entry in the bdm's. Maybe yours is still waiting to be transcribed.
Jody

If you have a good idea of the approximate date don't just rely on the various BDM indices.  Make sure you check the pages (free on Ancestry even for guest members) themselves for two reasons.  One is that you may find variations on the spelling you haven't thought of.  The other is that you may pick up errors in the transcriptions.  I found my great-grandmother, Lucy Winchurch's birth that way.  She had been mistranscribed as Lucy Winchester even though it was correct on the index page (immediately under the Winchester entries). 

There is a mechanism for notifying FREEBMD about such errors and now they have it correct (still doesn't show on electronic index for Ancestry though, I don't know if they update from the same source but both sites had the same error originally).

On the other hand, my Irish grandmother and her siblings don't seem to have been registered at all in Ireland though.  A kind young man at the Register Office there checked various dates and years (in case we had that wrong) and couldn't find any entries but said that was common even into the 1890s there.  Parents thought baptism important but not registration so now I have to find all the churches and try to find the baptism and I don't even know for certain that the family were from Dublin that far back.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)